We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I am so glad I was wrong!

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

My main concern for the Olympics, based upon information from usually good sources, was that the games presented a huge and risky terrorist threat, bearing in mind the small but dangerous number of home grown terrorists such as we have heard of in Syria (British citizens reported there to have threatened a British journalist). Maybe MI5 etc. have foiled unannounced plots, I do not know.

I am just glad to have been wrong; the games went very well in every way, and will be long remembered for the atmosphere created by the organisers and the whole British public.The volunteers and Service people were so impressive, and team GB did so well. At roughly one gold per 2000000 people we must be the top of the table?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Everybody, I'm sure, will be keeping an eye on the legacies from the games. Some of the infrastructure has been accounted for but the bulk has not and most will not be available for use for up to a couple of years.

When I first posted on this thread it was in no way intended to discredit either the contestants or organisers of the event. From an entertainment and sporting point of view it was nothing short of spectacular but there was a considerable price to pay, which, in this thread, was ignored. It certainly isn't now though;-)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

One use for part of the Olympic village would be to insist that those MP's who need a "second home" in London live in this accommodation - of a size for their needs, and free to them. In return no claims for other London second homes would be allowed. Even if this applied to new applicants it would surely be a saving and a good "legacy" use.

I will tick a box as the original point re security seems to be agreed. I thank Londoners for their contribution, I an glad the Scots participants wrapped themselves in the Union flag rather than the Saltire,(to Mr Salmond's fury) and am sure the Games were good value, even if at the moment the benefits are a bit intangible.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

john bunyan

On the subject of the union flag etc., I see that Piers Morgan was so incensed to see that Chris Hoy and some others refused to sing the national anthem that he offered £1000 to any UK gold medallist who did -paid to the charity of their choice.

In the end it cost him £22,000 which I have no doubt he can easily afford.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

FE

A good gesture to charity. The other 7 or so, however , still did a good job. I will always stand to attention for the national anthem but the singing bit seems to be a more recent thing. In the days when it followed a film show in the '50's etc, no one sang. I am not sure if "refused" is fair - some may just feel it not to be the done thing. I have no strong views either way as long as people stand, singing or not.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I always stand for the National Anthem of course. It's ingrained in me. In the armed forces we always stood to attention but didn't sing along to it. In cinema's we always used to stand. Except for the ones who rushed out to catch transport home etc????

However I never sing it, as I do not agree with the words at all.

If any other country's National Anthem is being played I also stand.

Other people may not agree with my ideas, but that's the way I am. I would willingly sing along to our other patriotic songs. I have sang along to the Australian National Anthem whilst in Australia and the German National Anthem when in Germany.

I can also understand why some of our athletes didn't sing along to it. They were choked up with emotion and trying not to show it. It's not British to cry "don'tcha know?"

I am now standing by for the flak.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I liked the Bradley Wiggins fan who responded to the loathsome Piers Morgan on twitter

"I was disappointed when you didn't go to jail for insider trading or phone hacking, but you know, each to his own"

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/morgan-slammed-wiggins-anthem-criticism-092950646.html

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Sir Chris Hoy has a newly-built velodrome named after him in Glasgow. It's impressive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features