We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I am so glad I was wrong!

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

My main concern for the Olympics, based upon information from usually good sources, was that the games presented a huge and risky terrorist threat, bearing in mind the small but dangerous number of home grown terrorists such as we have heard of in Syria (British citizens reported there to have threatened a British journalist). Maybe MI5 etc. have foiled unannounced plots, I do not know.

I am just glad to have been wrong; the games went very well in every way, and will be long remembered for the atmosphere created by the organisers and the whole British public.The volunteers and Service people were so impressive, and team GB did so well. At roughly one gold per 2000000 people we must be the top of the table?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

All I was looking for was for you to be prepared to stand by your view that the games shouldn't have happened

Never said that.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Good morning.

I have never said they should be cancelled read my posts again.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

There are always alternatives - yes.

The original budget for the games in 2005 was £2.4bn. This increased to £9.325bn in 2007.

In May 2010 the budget was cut slightly to £9.298bn. You want an alternative and there it was. The economy was heading downhill and an opportunity was missed to significantly cut the budget.

By the way it's interesting to read all of the hype and backslapping in some of the media praising the games for coming in under budget! Four times over actually but don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Horses and stable doors come to mind here.

They happened, they were successful, they made most of us feel good about ourselves and for those that didn't, and we won't have to consider hosting them again in our lifetimes.

The next generation in around 40 or 50 years time will no doubt have the same arguments over hosting them as we have and I would say to them, just have them, it'll be the best fortnight the country will have has since now and to hell with the cost!

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

to hell with the cost!

Yes, I'm afraid that's the problem. A view apparently shared by our government and many others.

Certainly a great sporting fortnight but someone has to pay for it and it's not difficult to work out who it will be.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

....and you are assuming that your interpretation and understanding of what went on is correct.

Enough for now I'm off for my bi-weekly work out at the gym. Back at lunch time to see what pearls of wisdom await me;-)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Strange how we never heard a peep out of the pro-negative lobby while the games were on...

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Just about to go out and saw your response, which, if aimed at me, is incorrect. I did peep while the games were on heaping praise on Clare Balding who I thought was exceptional presenter.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

The plans for the stadia were in place well before the recession struck.

Any changes to those plans would have involved increased costs, not savings, just ask anyone involved with the Millennium Dome and Wembley fiascos what happens when plans are altered after a build has started.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Pine Man

You're certainly not sitting on the fence... but I just can't figure out which side of it your posting from!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide