We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I am so glad I was wrong!

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

My main concern for the Olympics, based upon information from usually good sources, was that the games presented a huge and risky terrorist threat, bearing in mind the small but dangerous number of home grown terrorists such as we have heard of in Syria (British citizens reported there to have threatened a British journalist). Maybe MI5 etc. have foiled unannounced plots, I do not know.

I am just glad to have been wrong; the games went very well in every way, and will be long remembered for the atmosphere created by the organisers and the whole British public.The volunteers and Service people were so impressive, and team GB did so well. At roughly one gold per 2000000 people we must be the top of the table?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"nobody has mentioned the cost in £s per gold medal."

Probably because nobody knows, and possibly because nobody cares that much.

It's pointless looking at legacy incomes for other cities because none of them really tried in that respect - London is the first city that has made an effort.

For me, one big bonus was the introduction of free wireless internet access in 80 London Underground stations. It won't continue to be free once the paralympic games are over, and that's a great shame - the infrastructure is in place, so the cost to continue the service would be low.

There are other legacy possibilities as well - let's hope they're picked up.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

You can't complain about the money being spent 'in the austere times we live in' when the commitment was made long before.

I most certainly can and I have done. Just above your post and I stick with my view.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Pine Man

So your suggestion would have been to abandon the games, be a laughing stock for the rest of the world and just throw away all the buildings that had been started.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

So your suggestion would have been to abandon the games,

Never said that.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

forum member

Of course you are right technically, as seen by the west. However as seen by Bin Laden and his successors (a perverted view I know), the "martyrs" had a great success, and the lack of achieving their stated aims - which, of course are unrealistic - will not deter some of them from trying a similar stunt again. I am talking of the hard line Al-Qaeda , not Taliban etc.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

complaining about the cost at a time of austerity is illogical because the commitment to those costs was made long before 2008

In your opinion, maybe. There were, and always are, alternatives.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"There were, and always are, alternatives."

I'm also intrigued to know what they were, but isn't it all a little pointless now?

London has hosted the games, the money has been spent, and it was a great success. Isn't it better to be pleased about that, and stop raking over what might have been, but wasn't?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Goodness me all I did was complain about the cost of the games, exacerbated by the period of austerity we are at present in.

Of course there were alternatives, to suggest that there weren't is naive in the extreme.

the money has been spent, and it was a great success

Based on what criteria? Sporting definitely, entertainment definitely, financially - well not according to traders and goodness knows what the future legacy holds in store.

Let's not get my complaint out of proportion. It's just that - a complaint. My view which, according to other posters is pointless but I have aired my views and so be it.

Amongst all the hype and hysteria my pointless observations on the obscene cost of the Olympic games have been made.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I suppose we could have given the money to Syria to help in their struggle against the bandits.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

What! Some more?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes