We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I am so glad I was wrong!

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

My main concern for the Olympics, based upon information from usually good sources, was that the games presented a huge and risky terrorist threat, bearing in mind the small but dangerous number of home grown terrorists such as we have heard of in Syria (British citizens reported there to have threatened a British journalist). Maybe MI5 etc. have foiled unannounced plots, I do not know.

I am just glad to have been wrong; the games went very well in every way, and will be long remembered for the atmosphere created by the organisers and the whole British public.The volunteers and Service people were so impressive, and team GB did so well. At roughly one gold per 2000000 people we must be the top of the table?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

forum member

"the real pros understand that major outrages are counter-productive"

It did not stop the "9/11" nor the "Tube bombers". I hope you are right, but there seems still to be a risk from "home grown" fanatics as in the Syrian example of the captured journalist. In any case, whether it was as you say, a warning off by the "sponsors", the deterrent factor of 18,000 troops, or MI5 quietly foiling plots , the fact is nothing happened, ad thank God for that.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Yes, there were times when I was thinking "I hope nothing goes wrong" It would have been terrible if there was an atrocity on the scale of the Munich games when the Israeli kerfuffle happened.

So let's just put it down to a damn good security system, which worked well no matter how it was done. We may learn in future that something was foiled. Who knows?

I for one am delighted with the way everything worked out so well. But who controlled the weather? Can we not persuade whoever it was, to keep doing it?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

There were a couple of hundred arrests, mostly for touting offences, but at least one person had a firearm, and at least one bomb hoax

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Any terrorist with even a little bit of savvy will be aiming for the Para-Olympics beliving that we will be so relieved nothing has happened our guard will be down.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

fourm member

Those were the arrest figures for Olympic Park, during the 13 days from 29th July until 10th August...

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

forum member

The September 11th bombings were, from the perverted view of the terrorists, a great success, not a failure. The reasons for the attack are summarised here:

motives for 9/11

Regrettably , in spite of Bin Laden's demise there are still misguided fanatics about who will carry out such acts. Of course the predicable response from the US made the attack a failure in the sense of not intimidating the US, but to the people involved in the planning and execution of the attack it was a success.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Those were the arrest figures for Olympic Park, during the 13 days from 29th July until 10th August..."

No they weren't.

A Metropolitan Police spokeswoman said:

"These arrests are by officers working across London who are part of the policing operation for the Olympic Games. This includes officers who are working in the footprint of the policing plan - the park, river and central zones that include the Olympic venues. It also includes arrests made by officers who are part of the operation but have been deployed in boroughs to support day-to-day policing."

A total of 7 people were arrested inside Olympic venues.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I was against the Olympics based on cost alone.

I thoroughly enjoyed them, however, and Team GB did extremely well but that does not detract from the extremely large amounts of money that were spent putting them on when, due to the austere times we live in, the armed services and public services like police, fire and health, amongst others, are being drastically cut and our future financial status is still worsening.

There is very little evidence, yet, that the games generated significant, general, income and little evidence to support continued 'legacy' income based on the results of other countries that have hosted the Olympics.

So we got one gold medal per 2,000,000 members of the population but nobody has mentioned the cost in £s per gold medal.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

Thanks, I got that from a BBC report last week, they must have got it wrong

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Pine Man

It's not possible to assess any possible legacy from a games that's only just finished, only time will tell.

One thing in our favour is that a legacy committee has been put together with a plan to promote sport. I'm not aware that such a plan was put in place by previous Games cities...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more