We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New forum late night posting idea

interzone55
Resolved

Likes # 0

We've all come across late night posts that are maybe not 100% tasteful, maybe some of are even guilty of this.

A couple of years ago Google added an optional feature to their Gmail service that wouldn't allow you to send an email late at night until you'd answered a couple of maths questions, thus potentially saving you from sending ill advised emails to your boss whilst under the influence.

Maybe FE could add something like that to the Forums to save some of our members from themselves...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

alan14 ...I just love a good 'wind-up', nice one...you had me fooled.

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

I can hazard a guess, but it's probably better if I don't!

Ditto.

I don't know why, but it doesn't happen now

Really?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

N47 - your input is small fry...if one was pressed for an answer.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...please come up with a better retort.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Flak999

"I can hazard a guess, but it's probably better if I don't!"

Why not have the courage of your convictions and go ahead and hazard the guess? Not much point in saying, effectively, 'I might know the reason, but I'm not going to tell you'.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

N47.

Thank you for a response that contributes absolutely nothing to the thread.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

FE, I do know the reason for me not wanting to, but I'm not going to tell you either.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

You and I both know what I am alluding to, don't we? The ability to have an impassioned debate about certain subjects is restricted because of the fear (real or imagined) of offending the sensibilities of certain people who contribute to the forum, and also probably the pressure that you are under from the owners or senior management of IDG who wish this forum to remain a place that does not court controversy?

It is so much easier to have thread topics about the (yawn) Olympics, tomatoes, Aitchbee and all manner of other trivia, (I can hear the editorial meetings now! Keep it light and frothy!) than anything of consequence.

For instance in the (latest) closed thread regarding racism in America, I thought things were kept on a fairly rational basis (until fourm member decided to play the race card) but as soon as that particular bogeyman raises his head you run for the hills. (or the red padlock)

Believe me, I understand that this is a "family" forum and that you are constrained by editorial policy, but I am not a rabid Nazi I am just a concerned citizen attempting in my own small way to exercise my right (and protect the rights of others) to freedom of speech and expression, nothing more nor less.

So when I quote from articles published in the national press, and when I quote readily available statistics to back up my arguments, it is particularly galling to have the debate abruptly curtailed at the behest of certain favoured individuals!

You are the forum editor, your decision is final, I know and understand that, but a little bit of balance would not go amiss!

You did ask!

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

We should be able to debate any subject. Our Dave has just mentioned celebrating the Great War (which some think was a recent event!) . Many died for freedoms we no longer have - to debate/discuss certain subjects.

Even Parliament do not debate with any real gusto. At one time there were in-depth debates and details ironed out - today they seem to be told what to do.

With any debate that has freedom to express the facts, invariably the people that have a minority view will be shown for the weakness of their argument.So why stifle a debate when the good guys (majority) will always win?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Flak999

There we go again - you're unable to hold your obvious paranoia in check.

Read your own response, and think about how each of your six paragraphs is based on your own imagination - you've decided that we're conspiring to persecute you.

Let's shed the light of fact on things, rather than the fiction you've trotted out.

Firstly, I am definitely concerned about offending the sensibilities of other forum members, but not for the reason you imagine. I have a responsibility to ensure that we don't break the law, or allow people like you to do it. I have a responsibility to ensure that we continue to enjoy the high traffic figures that have been steadily rising for many years. In an average month we get around 1.5 million unique visitors who make over 3.6 million page requests. Those figures are the envy of the industry, and I'm not going to permit anyone to post the kind of overtly racist stuff that you want to post. It has nothing whatever to do with not wanting to court controversy. Never once, in the many years I've been Forum Editor has anyone in IDG made the slightest attempt to influence my editorial decisions, or to control the way I do my job. On many occasions in the past I have gone on record here as saying that I would hand in my keys to the forum the day after any such attempt was made.

I get superb support from the senior management, and I always have. It's the reason I'm so loyal to this organisation, and I'm not ashamed of saying so. There are certainly no 'light and frothy' exhortations at editorial meetings. So it's crystal clear - I am not constrained by any editorial policy.

You may consider some of the forum content to be trivial, but that's because you seem to be under the impression that Speakers Corner is the be all and end all of what we do here.It isn't,of course. I like a bit of trivia from time to time - it lightens the mood, and is a reflection of life. You should try it sometime, it might help you attain a degree of proper perspective.

Your offensive comment about a named person playing the race card is a classic example of the kind of thing I'm not going to tolerate here. If you can't develop a cogent argument without resorting to being abusive you may as well give up now.

Nobody has accused you of being a rabid Nazi - that thought is a product of your aforementioned paranoia. You profess to be "just a concerned citizen attempting in my own small way to exercise my right (and protect the rights of others) to freedom of speech and expression, nothing more nor less." but you've completely missed the obvious point. You don't have a right to freedom of speech and expression here - this is a privately owned and operated web forum. By registering with us you agreed to abide by our rules of forum conduct, and we make it quite clear that we will not tolerate comments of a racist nature.

There's nothing wrong with quoting from media reports, and I have not once suggested otherwise,or locked a thread because of it. That's something else you've invented.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...