We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is there EVER a good time for site maintainance?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

My car insurance is about to expire. Specifically at midnight tonight. It will automatically renew, but I'm not happy at the price so will not be renewing with this company. I've done the usual, shopped around the various price comparison websites, consulted the excellent advice on moneysavingexpert, included those that arent on any comparison sites. Eventually I found one that saved me about £250 for the same level of cover. I always pay the years premium in full and use the same card for it. So last week was going to renew but -shock, horror- I had lost my card! Panic, searched high and low, but to no avail. Last seen paying for fuel, called station but not been left there, so contacted card issuer confirmed last payment and cancelled card. New one arrived today as I have just finished work, so tried to retrieve my quote but the insurance companies website is down for scheduled maintainance! It will be back up at 12 noon tomorrow. Which leaves me with a dilemma. I can park on my drive, off road, but even thats illegal these days. I can declare a sorn for 12 hours, or I can go for the next cheapest quote.

Decisions, decisions.

WTM

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Well I'm now insured again. Looks like quotemehappy.com have lost out on a sale, but thats their lookout. I'm now back with my original insurer. I re-did a comparison search, and it came up with another quote (with exactly the same details) of over £200 cheaper than their renewal. But because my policy had expired and I had told them not to automatically renew I was now a new customer, so got a better price.

Cynical, moi?

WTM

(formally public enemy no. 1)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The trouble is that it always seems to work. And then there's talk about competition and customer loyalty, when £200 might be involved?.

I have just had a vehicle breakdown renewal cover notice. Because I had to call out one of their technician's (for a problem that he could not fix), I have lost part of the discount bonus. Surprisingly, there is a little message about leaving and transferring to a competitor, and perhaps we could discuss any concerns before possible transfer. I would suspect that a possible loss of discount might be revised. But am I banking on a certainty or just hope?.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Midnight is 0000 hours except for seamen when it is 8 bells of the first watch. The Royal Navy doesn't use the term hours. It is twenty three hundred, etc but the Army and RAF do use hours.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I've just discovered that as part of the Service deal for my car with the Main Dealer I get basic RAC cover each year, and there's me paying Green Flag separately for it for the last 3 years!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

To answer your question....

The ideal time for site maintenance is around three in the morning in the country where your site is based, but virtually nobody has website developers working at that hour, and anyway, you would lose traffic from all those countries in other time zones, so no - there's never a good time. You just have to look at your server logs and pick the time when your traffic is at its lowest level.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

fourm member

As you'll know, the forum pages are generated on request, using information from the databases, so they can't be displayed as static pages. That applies to other areas of the site too.

The same is true of many big sites, but yes, it is obviously possible to use static pages with 'down for maintenance' information on them.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

May I appologise for giving wrong information regarding what I thought at the time was my website.

Unfortunately, when I phoned my friend Brian today to thank him for his great work, he informed me that this website address no longer belongs to me!

I'll see him in a couple of weeks to find out what really happened.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 1

WhiteTruckMan...thanks for letting me put matters straight on your thread.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014