We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is there EVER a good time for site maintainance?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

My car insurance is about to expire. Specifically at midnight tonight. It will automatically renew, but I'm not happy at the price so will not be renewing with this company. I've done the usual, shopped around the various price comparison websites, consulted the excellent advice on moneysavingexpert, included those that arent on any comparison sites. Eventually I found one that saved me about £250 for the same level of cover. I always pay the years premium in full and use the same card for it. So last week was going to renew but -shock, horror- I had lost my card! Panic, searched high and low, but to no avail. Last seen paying for fuel, called station but not been left there, so contacted card issuer confirmed last payment and cancelled card. New one arrived today as I have just finished work, so tried to retrieve my quote but the insurance companies website is down for scheduled maintainance! It will be back up at 12 noon tomorrow. Which leaves me with a dilemma. I can park on my drive, off road, but even thats illegal these days. I can declare a sorn for 12 hours, or I can go for the next cheapest quote.

Decisions, decisions.

WTM

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Had a similar situation last week renewing for my mother (in her eighties) after a ridiculous quote from the company she had been with for 60 yrs.

the companies web site was down so I used their phone number

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

If you are not going to drive anywhere, and keep the car off the road, I cant see Plod bothering to nick you for 12 hours of no insurance.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Why is parking on your drive illegal? Just don't use your car...while you sort out your insurance, one way or another.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If there is a 7 day telephone service and you have the quotation details, then try that. If you do not remember the quotation reference number, then a postcode and name might find the details on the advisor's screen.

If it was from a comparison website, then you will need the telephone number from that, because using a direct line to an insurance company might not work, with finding a quotation. I had this problem with the Coop, because the comparison website quote was on an agency agreement arrangement.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

If a vehicle has either no tax, insurance or mot then a sorn must be declared to dvla, irrespective of whether or not the vehicle is on the public highway or private property. Failure to do so renders the registered keeper to be thoroughly rogered by a bad tempered dvla subcontracted gorilla with dubious hygene standards etc etc etc...

But blow it. I'm very tired, the car is down my drive and I'm off to bed anyhow.

WTM

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Maybe you should sleep in the car WTM, you don't want someone nicking it while it's uninsured...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

WTM - my website has had a good update...It wasn't done overnight.

http://www.aitchbee.com/

...Thanks to Brian...my best pal.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Most tax/insurance offences seem to come up via car mounted ANPR cameras, so unless they now have sideways looking cameras you should be alight.

No good if you live opposite a T junction though, or like me, opposite a police station!

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

When I try to log on to get insurance, I get a message saying "..you won't be able to use parts our site or make amends to your policy until 12:00pm Sunday 12th August."

I'm still in the dark. Does 12pm mean midday or midnight? Why oh why cant they use a 24 hour clock that eliminates such ambiguities?

WTM

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I hardly think you have suddenly become public enemy no one just because your car will not be insured for a few hours.LOL.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...