We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot and Talking Point 711

Brumas
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good Evening All.

I shall leave this GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD for the night shift cos’ I’m turning in soon. It is not in good shape and the back is even worse.

click here

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

It looks like an estuary to me. There's not an obvious dock but what looks like a slipway in between the buildings towards the right. Now I can't think of anywhere in the UK where this would happen - our tidal waters would flood straight up that street.

Rick'scafe - pylons don't just carry electricity. I perhaps should have used the term "mast"!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Could be high water but I'm not sure it is tidal.

Quite a sturdy fence around the house on the left.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I would hazard a guess at Holland...the spire of the Church looks foreign, and also think we are looking at a wide river bend.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Isle of Wight - perhaps Parkhurst?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I thought of the Isle of Wight but it doesn't match.

The church spire is very British.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I keep comng back to this one, especially after IOW was mentioned but there's only one place on the Medina where that could have been and as woolwell says not a good match. My summary is this:

We have a fairly central church with a classic spire within a few hundred yards of the water. A large house with grounds at the top left. Possibly a stonemasons on the waters edge bottom left. (Makes sense for importing the stone and marble, hence the resolute fencing!) We also appear to have a cemetery just in front of the monument or folly on the high point above the vista.

A slipway running into the water just off the mainstreet. Now here's the biggest clue as I see it. Look closely at the building to the right of the slipway and it's roof. Two large circular caps on a flat roof, a tiered stern and an arched cabin at the squared prow at the front (Right). No windows to the side facing us.

This looks typically art deco in design. The overhang onto the street and the flaps to their sides might even suggest a cinema or theatre.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Agree with everything except the stonemason. Looks more like the Governor's house.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

It's Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh

Like this post  
amonra

Likes # 0

The tall white buildings with the radio mast look very much like a Gendarmerie in France. BUT, the rest of the buildings dont quite have that "French" look, although the French do have a habit of building right up to the edge of canals and rivers. Could be northern France, Belgium ???

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Police email training Depot on left, Coles Monument in background

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?