We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Boris's Cycling Legacy

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Hat's off to Boris for striking while the iron is still hot a he announces an annual elite and amateur cycling weekend every August as part of moving the legacy theme forward.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

I can only wish him 'best of luck' with it and I hope it does promote more interest in cycling. If it is a nice dry day it will undoubtably get the people turning out. The biggest problem that cycling faces in this country is the weather and it is very noticeable that the number of cyclists on the road diminishes in almost direct proportion to the amount of rain falling. Yes the committed cyclists are still out there but the casual cyclists go back to the bus, car or train. Oh to live in drier climate!!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

canarieslover , that is also true of the motor-biker around our area.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

The same applies to pedistrians, who go for a walk in the park

Terry

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Terry Brown ,not true. My lad plays outside whatever the weather. :(

'Tis me who's got to find him...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I've seen two local Bicycle shops close recently ... one is now a fast-food takeaway outlet, the other one is now a Hairdressers.

I can not see this trend being reversed just because Team GB won a lot of Gold/Silver Medals in cycling.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

AitchBee - I think that you may be wrong. I know someone who has bought a bike this week.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I predict that this Christmas will be a new bike Christmas amongst the kids of GB.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

Cycling numbers would increase ten fold if there were more safe vehicle free routes, especially routes to schools, traffic and cycling just do not mix.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

namtas - the problem in my area is that the cyclists don't use the cycle paths but instead mix it with the normal traffic weaving in and out on roundabouts, etc.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

For cycling to take off in this country it needs a change in attitude by existing cyclists, motor vehicle drivers, central government and local authorities.

So therefore there will be no change.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days