We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A coffee boiled is a coffee spoiled

interzone55

Likes # 0

I'm a member of a mail order coffee club, and in their recent news letter they said that coffee should be made at 90°c.

This is something I've been aware of for a while, instant coffee always says use water just off the boil, and if you do use boiling water the coffee tastes really bitter.

With this in mind, I tracked down and bought a kettle that can heat water to 85° (herbal tea), 95° (coffee) and 100° (tea), but it wasn't easy to find.

Seeing as we make just as much coffee as tea in this country now, why do pretty much all kettles only have a boil setting, so you either have to turn it off before it's boiled, or waste electricity boiling the water then wait for it to cool?

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I presume cost,manufacturers are unlikely to sell as many of the special kettles with various heat settings.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Instead of boiling the water drink it cold it is better for you than tea or coffee.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I frequently boil a litre water as usual, fill my stainless steel vacuum flask (1 litre capacity), then have 2 or 3 cups of Colombian 100% freeze-dried instant black coffee later that day...adding the coffee seperately.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I'm not sure of the 90'C lark, but I know that boiling water, at 100'C is a definite No-No.

There are a range of opinions as to the optimum Temperatures for each beverage, but remember that probably much of the best coffee is made by the Espresso Method which delivers pressurised water at very close to, but just below 100'C.

This site (there are many others) gives a good set of guide-lines. Tea Horse

If you are using one of the cooler settings I would suggest that when you make the Tea, you also pour some of the Hot Water into the cup you are going to use. This means that when you eventually pour the tea into its Cup, you don't loose some of its Latent Heat heating the Cup.

Buying Tea Tea House Emporium in Bath

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I have one of these

Quick Cup Link

and it does fine for me. I cant speak for the amount of energy they claim is saved, but it must be an improvement on heating water in a kettle that you dont need to use. Plus when done, there isnt dangerous boiling water left in the tank. It's also a lot quicker than a conventional kettle, and as it doesnt heat to boiling is good with coffee. Tea is a bit different, but we dont really drink that much at home anyhow.

Best of all was that a few years ago I came across a couple of them at a store I was delivering to that had been returned brand new but damaged in transit and were going to be thrown out. I asked if I could have them, and managed to make one perfect one from the parts, so it was a freebie.

WTM

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Now here's a Tea argument to be had over and over.

Should you add the hot water to the Tea Leaves or the Tea Leaves to the hot water? Does it matter? Who cares?

The answer to the last one is - Me and many others

Tea was originally discovered, so it is said, when a Camellia leaf settled onto the cup of hot water that an Emperor was drinking and he so liked the flavour that he had the process repeated for him again and again.

So, in his case. It was the leaf to the water.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Most ground coffee is made with a coffee maker of some sort that uses the correct temperature. I use a bog standard £14.99 paper filter coffee maker that is just fine for a straight un-fancy coffee.

Most that boil a kettle for coffee are using instant, and a lot of those will put the milk (quite a lot of milk) in first, now and again they don't and don't quite know why their coffee isn't as good.

Some use the glass cafetera type, which tastes terrible if you use boiling water, and you get coffee grinds in your mouth from the lack of fine filtering.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

wee eddie

You're getting your drinks confused.

The thread is about Coffee, which shouldn't be boiled, not Tea which should be boiled.

I've no problem with kettles boiling water, but they should also have a setting which cuts the kettle out just before it's boiled for coffee, hot chocolate etc which should be made with water that's just off the boil

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan

I only ever put enough water in the kettle for the drinks I'm making, so there's no wasted energy.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Not everyone uses filter coffee makers.

I use a cafetiere in the morning to make a flask of coffee for work, then in the evening I use probably the best coffee maker in the world, an Aeropress to make a good strong Americano. Both these need a kettle...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...