We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How much does a gold medal cost?

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

ONLY 10p!

It's quite an interesting insight of the factor of money and facilities in how well we do in certain events.

"there is one swimming pool for every six million people in Ethiopia." & "We have identified four sports where there is virtually no chance that anyone from a poor country can win a medal - equestrian, sailing, cycling and swimming"

Tells us that there are also financial backroom tactics involved in Olympic success.

I for one am more that happy to chip in 20p, or even 50p for Rio!

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

"there is one swimming pool for every six million people in Ethiopia" It seems just the same here while the schools are on holiday.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Yes it is a fact that we need more fifty meter swimming pools in this country. A few more cycling velodromes wouldn't come amiss either.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Victoria Pendleton's bike costs around £20,000 and is hand-built specifically for her. The same is true of all the GB team bikes, and means the total cost of running the team must be huge. Small countries with struggling economies can't hope to produce world-class riders.

The same goes for the equestrian events. A top-rank dressage horse can cost well over a quarter of a million pounds, to say nothing of the hundreds of thousands it costs to maintain and transport. Another event that will not feature riders from emerging economies.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Somalia should do well in the sailing . they seem to do well with small boats.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

wiz-king

It's unsporting to punch below the belt!

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Personally I think it is time the International Olympic Committees Sat down and looked at the monster they have created. Too many sports seem to do their own thing so we have some where there is a play off between 3rd & 4th for a single bronze and others where losing semi finalists both get bronze medals. Some sports like gymnastics and swimming have dozens of events all pretty similar while others have one or two.

Sports played by millions in other parts of the world which require basic facilities seem to be ignored while others which require the building of special arenas costing millions and are played or used by a minority are included.

I watched the Asian games and saw some wonderful sports I had not seen before which were not only skilful but great to watch. None of course are part of the Olympic Games. If a City is going to spend £billions on creating an event then at least try and make it more fully inclusive as there are lots more sports which could be included using these facilities and make it truly international.

Like this post
procrastinator86

Likes # 0

As much as I like the Olympics, I have to admit that sometimes it's too much of a Western-orientated event and not a truly international one. But what can we do about it? The game originated in the West anyway.

Like this post
procrastinator86

Likes # 0

And yeah, politics does play a big role in the Olympics.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

When they consider new events, they speak to all the entrant countries and hold an initial demonstration event to see how it goes down and to give interested countries time to build interest in a new event.

It's not much good introducing some obscure Asian event if only a dozen countries out of the 200 plus participate. It would be no more inclusive for the Olympic ethos than if Rugby League was introduced, which of course would greatly benefit Yorkshire's position in the medal table!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Weary Wednesday was a description of yesterday's medal free day... have we become bored and complacent of winning?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow