We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How much does a gold medal cost?

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

ONLY 10p!

It's quite an interesting insight of the factor of money and facilities in how well we do in certain events.

"there is one swimming pool for every six million people in Ethiopia." & "We have identified four sports where there is virtually no chance that anyone from a poor country can win a medal - equestrian, sailing, cycling and swimming"

Tells us that there are also financial backroom tactics involved in Olympic success.

I for one am more that happy to chip in 20p, or even 50p for Rio!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"It would be no more inclusive for the Olympic ethos than if Rugby League was introduced, "

The unlikely current Olympic Rugby Union champions are the USA!

They were the last ones to win before it was discontinued, sometime in the 30s I think.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

RU is probably the nearest equivalent to American football, only they pad up being wooses:)

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

What you describe as some obscure Asian event can be played by probably more than half the world's population. Compare than to say Dressage. There are many huge sporting events that most people in the UK are totally unfamiliar with and could easily be incorporated in the existing Olympics at little cost. The existing rowing area could for example quite easily have dragon boat racing which is the most exiting rowing races I have ever witnessed and dozens of countries already participate in this. All I am saying is that the existing structure needs some changes made to make it a better worldwide event.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

only they pad up being wooses:)

I think if I was going to be charged at by a mountain of bone and muscle weighing over 220 lbs and travelling at 25 mph I would be padding up too.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

It is official then, the FE is a woosie ;-)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Condom I wasn't referring to any current event when I mentioned obscure Asian events, it just happened that we've done quite well in un-obscure Asian events today.

Dragon boat racing...? Are you suggesting that the IOC adopt the Jeux Sans Frontieres model in the future? Eddy Waring's dead anyway.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Dragon boat racing...? Are you suggesting that the IOC adopt the Jeux Sans Frontieres model in the future? Eddy Waring's dead anyway. Like this post "

I see the good old British tradition is still alive in this Olympic year.

If the foreigners do it and we don't, let's mock it!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Are you suggesting that the IOC adopt the Jeux Sans Frontieres model in the future?"

Dragon boat racing is one of the most spectacular and exciting events I have ever seen. The crews are super-fit, it would make a great Olympic sport.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...