We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Nasa's Curiosity rover lands on Mars

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

Don't know if any of you have followed this but a successful landing on Mars happened this morning enter link description here.

A small extract from the story,

"The mission has even already sent its first low-resolution images - showing the rover's wheel and its shadow, through a dust-covered lens cap that has yet to be removed."

And when they find out who left the cover on they are going to kill him.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's quite a fantastic human achievement and well named, and like the Olympics cost, somethings just have to be done beyond the normal constraints of sensible spending to satisfy our human curiosity.

I'm not sure what the benefit will be to me in my lifetime, but I'm sure in a century or so's time, they will look back and praise our determination to reach outside of our goldfish bowl, all powered by extreme curiosity.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

570-million-km journey from Earth and landed precisely where it was supposed to.

I sometimes have difficulty trying to find somewhere in the nearest town to me.

Amazing how they can actually make and calculate exactly where it will land.

Some extremely clever folk out there and needless to say I am not one of them.Look forward to seeing some of the pictures that come back.I wonder if they will find any Bars.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I hope it doesn't 'shoot itself in the foot' with that laser beam rock-zapper.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I wonder if Rover cars will sue NASA for using its name on their vehicle. I know Apple probably would ;-)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Well done to all concerned, looking forward to the release of the pictures and lab results.

I think I'm going into the "space scrap" business with thousands of out of date satellites in orbit, moon landers, Martian rovers and space probes there must be money to be made. Do you realise how much precious metal gores into these things.

:0)

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I think it's all a load of old bull. A con trick like the supposed landing on the moon. I bet it is all being done by Hollywood in the Afghan desert. (TIC)

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Buteman, I had a good Snicker at your Mars bar reference...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That gag will surely run a Marathon session around the world before becoming as extinct as an Aztec as it goes off Topic.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

If there are any Kit-Kats up there, Curiosity might kill them.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If oyu wish to see more of this try this web site 'Earth Sky'

Terry

http://earthsky.org/space

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites