We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Things that frighten us, such as speech-making etc.

Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I just found out that the FE is frightened of being labelled a "Kindle nut". I don't think he was serious, but there are things in life that frighten us. With me it's having to make a speech even though I have done it a few times during my life. There are other things of course. I've also just been reading about Brumas's brother-in-law being bitten/stung by an unknown assailant. I know people who are terrified of ordinary garden spiders, I even know one person who is terrified of cats.

Is there anyone on here who has an unusual phobia?

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Thinking of the speech making reminded me of a training course I went on.

To begin with, service and sales people were separated and during the course a volunteer had to make a presentation. The service guys all shrunk back and no one actually volunteered and eventually someone had to be press-ganged into it.

For the second half of the course, there was a mixture of sales and service guys and again a volunteer was required to make a presentation.

This time the sales guys were fighting over the right to do the presentation and get themselves noticed.

I suppose it proved we had the right personalities in the respective roles.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Nontek

After living in the tropics it was years before I could break the habit of knocking my shoes on the floor in the morning before putting them on.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

For many years, when we had lots of overseas bases, it was an affectation of the old sweats to knock any biscuits on the table, even in the UK, to get the weevils out!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

FE

Just over three years in Singapore after leaving BG, probably helped to make the 'fear' last longer.

Those were the days!!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

morddwyd - Weevils that has reminded me of a phobia of mine. Many years ago at sea I poured milk on a well-known breakfast cereal to then find several black things swimming for it from the cereal. I haven't been able to eat that cereal since.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

In Singapore we got quite used to giving the sugar bowl a bit of a knock to get the ants to scurry off out of it, before using it on the kids breakfast cornflakes.

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

I don’t think I have any actual phobias but I do have one thing that gets me in a fever.

I am an experienced sky diver, scuba diver, fought in the ring in full contact karate, performed on stage as a musician, done public speaking in sales presentations but when one of the companies I own was having cash flow problems talking to the HMRC VAT Man made me sweat with fear.

Sleepless nights building up to repeat conversations to do payment plan deals to save the company, eventually did the deal and all ended well but as a multiple business owner I have a morbid fear of the VAT man!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Woolwell

You in turn, have reminded me that yes, I do have a Phobia - in Singapore (see above) while eating breakfast, having already taken a bite out of one of those biscuits whose 'punch-line' was "bet you can't eat three" I discovered the largest Cockroach I had ever seen, staring up at me from within the biscuit ......... I have never, and will never ever eat one of those again! Though I used to love them - the biscuits that is, not the Cockroach!!

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

I didn't used to have a problem with heights, and I still am OK climing up ladders, even fairly tall.. 8-9 meters or so. And I did a static line parachute jump when I was younger, over 25 years ago...

But 9 years ago I was on a weekend break to Barcelona, with my wife, for our anniversary. We went up in the lift of "La Sagreda Famila", and walked down the narrow spiral staircase, with open windows.

Ever since then I've been awful with heights, like that. I'm still OK with laddders, and flying, but I can no longer get close to high windows, and even watching pictures of folk at the top of high things, (such as that famous shot of workmen having lunch/fags on a girder while building an american skycraper) make me feel ill. I recently saw, on youtube, video of someone climbing a telecoms mast. I was literally, sick. Just made it to the bathroom!

And all since that Barcelona trip!

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

Watch new Grolsch ad that combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015