We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Things that frighten us, such as speech-making etc.

Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I just found out that the FE is frightened of being labelled a "Kindle nut". I don't think he was serious, but there are things in life that frighten us. With me it's having to make a speech even though I have done it a few times during my life. There are other things of course. I've also just been reading about Brumas's brother-in-law being bitten/stung by an unknown assailant. I know people who are terrified of ordinary garden spiders, I even know one person who is terrified of cats.

Is there anyone on here who has an unusual phobia?

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

It's People eating raw mushrooms for me. It makes me feel physically sick. Strangely, I'm happy to prepare and cook them, and I'm just as happy to eat them cooked. But raw???? :shudders:

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

Best advice I got about speech making was - have a good introduction and a good ending, with as little space between the two as possible!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"OK, so maybe not frightening, but certainly a phobia."

And that, of course, is the difference.

Phobias are not necessarily frightening (why would I be frightened of Christmas?) but are a totally irrational mortal dread.

If you have a genuine phobia you'll know what I mean. If you don't you won't.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Talking about possible phobias, perhaps brings me to a change in my life. I have always been one of those people who drawing blood, sticking needles and combating pain as just been on of of those things in life.

But a few years back I suddenly had a very great and noticeable dislike to the removal of stitches or staples after an operation. Anything else and no problem.

Is this a phobia or just being a pathetic wimp, perhaps making a child far more braver than me?.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I fear / dislike Cystocopy, catheters and their removal!!These days done with no anaesthetic.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

john bunyan.

Don't forget to keep us all updated about your ongoing problem. I share your fear/horror of surgical instruments. I could do with an anaesthetic to have my annual flu jab.

Another thing I fear is anything getting anywhere near my eyes. I can put drops in them myself but I won't let anyone else anywhere near them. If I had to have an operation on my eyes, they would have to give me a general anaesthetic.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Driving under bridges. Low ones, because I've recently found a very small sticker on the back of my cab that says my 5th wheel height is 1.35m, whereas trailer heights are indicated on a 1.25m 5th wheel height. Which means my rig is 4in taller than I thought it was.

But the biggie for me is driving under (usually) motorway bridges when there is a pedestrian directly overhead. I live in fear of jumpers and missile throwers.

WTM

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I live in fear of jumpers and missile throwers."

I think that's probably true of everyone who does a lot of motorway driving - I know I tense up when I see anyone standing on a bridge as I approach, particularly if it's a bunch of youngsters.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

My best friend in Scotland who was a slaughterer by trade fainted at the site of his own blood. I could never get my head round it as he was standing in blood most of the day but scratch himself and he was out for the count.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

1953-1955 I was stationed in Br Guiana (now Guyana), our main concern in those days was using the Lavatory - always had to lift the seat to check for rats, snakes, spiders and other such nasties - could have been rather embarrassing!

Not quite a phobia, but the fear lasted many years, even back in UK I used to do the 'lift' each and every time - for at least twenty years!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more