We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Things that frighten us, such as speech-making etc.

Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I just found out that the FE is frightened of being labelled a "Kindle nut". I don't think he was serious, but there are things in life that frighten us. With me it's having to make a speech even though I have done it a few times during my life. There are other things of course. I've also just been reading about Brumas's brother-in-law being bitten/stung by an unknown assailant. I know people who are terrified of ordinary garden spiders, I even know one person who is terrified of cats.

Is there anyone on here who has an unusual phobia?

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Perhaps it is not strange that most people seem to have an aversion to leeches...is it the blood sucking or the slithering that does it? I must admit that they were also not a great favourite of mine. However in my last hospital they were kept in the pharmacy and used for micro surgery as there is nothing better to stop blood clotting when sewing digits back on. The pharmacist put one on me when I was visiting and just told me t relax and watch it. I never felt anything but it slowly began to fatten up with my blood and it was a n amazing thing to watch.

When I get them on my hands now when cleaning out bits of my pond I now don't get he instant feeling of horror I used to get but I do wonder where they come from.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

"there is nothing to fear but fear itself" which idiot wrote that?

I have a healthy respect for anything that can do me damage, large or small.

However I try not to let my "fears" stop me doing what I wish to do, which is what would happen if they are allowed to turn into phobias.

I have no interest to "hold" small mammals, insects(its the sudden movement that makes me jump), large or small reptiles, but do enjoy programs showing their life style.

Heights or enclosed spaces have never bothered me which must be why I enjoyed jumping out of / off of things and caving when I was younger and fitter (now perhaps I'm older and wiser ;0))

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Macscouse. If the LHO reads your comment, she will give you something to be frightened about.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Perhaps it is not strange that most people seem to have an aversion to leeches...is it the blood sucking or the slithering that does it?"

Like all phobias mine is irrational - I know what leeches do, and I'm aware of their medical uses; I'm even fascinated by the elegant way that evolution has ensured their survival. I'll happily let a nurse take a syringe-full of blood from my arm, so it's not that.

My phobia started - as so many do - with a single bad experience. A massive leech attached itself to my foot when I waded along a small stream in Sri Lanka and -without me feeling a thing - drilled right through my big toenail and proceeded to feed. I was concentrating on looking at the surrounding jungle, and not on my feet. I noticed the leech eventually, by which time it was enormous, and I was not happy at all - I yelled out, and my Sri Lankan guide came running. He couldn't understand why I was making such a fuss, and he removed the leech by touching it with the end of his cigarette.

The phobia was born, and you will not ever catch me going into freshwater streams or ponds in the tropics again. I braved the Borneo rain forest, but spend most of the time watching for (and spotting) leeches waving about on leaves as I passed by. It was difficult not to break into a run.

There, I've outed myself. I'm scared of leeches.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

In Malaya we always carried cigarettes in a condom to keep them dry. Their main use in the jungle was to remove leeches. I think we got somewhat used to dealing with the bloodsuckers in time. It also used up a lot of fags. I never smoked so someone else always got the benefit of my cigarettes.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"In Malaya we always carried cigarettes in a condom to keep them dry."

In Sri Lanka I remember my father getting his cigarettes (Players) in a cylindrical tin of 50. It was sealed with a metal foil top under the lid which you opened by rotating the lid after you slid a small metal point out. This neatly cut the foil, and there were the fresh cigarettes.

I know so much about the opening technique because one day I pinched a couple and went behind the bungalow with a friend to see what smoking was all about. Severe nausea ensued.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

Yes I did the same. Leeches creep through the eyelet holes of jungle boots and end up in hollows such as armpits - and in a very private hollow where you had to be very careful with a cigarette! Mozzy repellent spray sometimes made them drop off, but one should not pull them off. I have never liked spiders, much.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The only thing that I recall, that really gave me a fright was landing at Kai Tak (Hong Kong) airport in one of those new model Boeings, and seeing what I thought was the aircraft falling apart as we 'hit' the runway. It was only the pilot applying the rear thrust!.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Balloons. I had one burst in my face as a youngster and, even now, I shy away from blowing them up. Come that certain time of the year that shall be nameless, it's the wife's job. OK, so maybe not frightening, but certainly a phobia.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

On TV's 'Doc Martin'...the Doctor...(he just can't stand the sight of blood) in one memorable hospital scene 'his escape from the ward' emphasizes his phobia.Doc Martin's desperation to get out of the ward, was really well filmed, with claustrophobic camera effects.

In a similar vein (pun intended) I cannot watch a needle getting stuck into my arm when I go for a six-monthly blood test.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...