We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Things that frighten us, such as speech-making etc.

Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I just found out that the FE is frightened of being labelled a "Kindle nut". I don't think he was serious, but there are things in life that frighten us. With me it's having to make a speech even though I have done it a few times during my life. There are other things of course. I've also just been reading about Brumas's brother-in-law being bitten/stung by an unknown assailant. I know people who are terrified of ordinary garden spiders, I even know one person who is terrified of cats.

Is there anyone on here who has an unusual phobia?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I'm still scared of the dark, and I also have a morbid dread of Christmas (Sorry, Peter). I;'m not talking about not liking it, but a total dread which starts about September, and builds up as it approaches.

In my younger days I would be suicidal, and in the Forces would frequently volunteer for Christmas duty, so that I could lock myself away rather than having to go home and face it with the family.

It's just about under control mow

I once knew a farmer's wife who was terrified of chickens.

When she had to go for the eggs she used to poke the hens off with a broom so that she didn't have to go near them

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I get an irrational momentary fearful 'shiver' every time I walk into the main entrance to my flat...fearing that something is going to fall on my head...like a 'ton on bricks'. Strangely...leaving the front entrance and walking thru' the swing-gate is a somewhat pleasant experience.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...possibly by saying this to 'the world' might have cured me of this phobic thought.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Apart from being labeled a Kindle nut I have a bit of a phobia where leeches are concerned. I once had a very unpleasant encounter with a giant leech in Sri Lanka, and it left me with an abiding fear of the things. Like all phobias it seems odd to a lot of people, but it's there,

Let's change the subject.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I can relate to the leech phobia! I particularly dislike garden slugs. Quite apart from the damage they do to my bedding plants, I find them a quite disgusting and pointless part of the evolutionary tree!

Oh, and religious zealots, of whatever sect!

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

The Long Haired One terrifies me!!

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

In my teens a group of us were in a boat just a few hundred metres out at sea when someone threw an item belonging to a young lady overboard. In my youthful quest to be the hero and impress, I flopped over the side to retrieve said item. The day was gloriously hot but the water was icy cold, so cold that it completely took my breath away and I struggled to get back on the boat.

Two weeks later a friend and I were walking into the sea with a girl each on our shoulders. I walked into a hole but the girl, and the others too, thought I'd gone down on my knees fooling about so she was hanging on to my ears while I was thrashing about all but drowning.

I have a morbid fear of water and I'm rather fearful of boats.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Have to admit to a phobia about slugs, snails I can cope with but those other nasty things make me shiver.

But I do have a Brother in law who is petrified of dogs and the dogs know it, he can't even bring himself to stroke a dog and I've seen really good mannered dogs try to bite him.

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

Like many things in life phobias are never as bad as you think they are going to be. Mind you on the other hand the good things in life are never quite as good as you think they are going to be. With me it is the large animals in this world that get me in a panic. Things like a bull I once came across on a footpath, or the very large dogs of the rottweiler kind. As for speech making, well it is something I don`t like but have found that if I give the matter as little forethought as possible and just go for it with an apology about how very little experience I have of speaking in public then my efforts go down much better than if I had a planed speech ready in advance.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

In my experience small dogs are more "snappy" than large dogs. Dogs sense fear and it makes them nervous especially if the frightened person starts waving their arms about or moves suddenly. As a dog owner you should be ready if you meet a person who is afraid of dogs and keep the dog under control. An experienced dog owner can pick up the signs quickly and will know how their dog is likely to respond.

I'm not too keen on heights and especially balconies. Yet am quite happy to fly.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia