We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Team GB

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Are there still any doubting prophets of doom out there?

This nation is experiencing the greatest national feelgood factor I've ever experienced. The general uplift is quite noticeable everywhere around here, especially with a local gold athlete doing so well.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Compare the above table to the Sydney 2000 medals table. What a turnaround.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

QB - I think the Aussies just want to go home...that's why their medal position is headin' towards ' Down Under ' :o[

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

The highlight of any Olympics was always the Athletics with me.

Now athletes turning up for the Olympic games that are not fit and ready should not be in them.

There must be loads of others queuing up to take there place.You have to ask why they were allowed to carry on if they were not 100% fit to do so.

Maybe we are expecting to much from some of the athletes and the crowds instead of lifting them are actually doing the reverse and making them to nervous so we don't get the best out of them.

Cant quite remember cycle racing in the early 60s no doubt it may have been there and if so we could not have been very good at it or I may have remembered.

Only another week of it to go then back to watching the Jeremy kyle show and all the others crap shows that the other half watches.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"You have to ask why they were allowed to carry on if they were not 100% fit to do so."

I quite agree, a fit second choice athlete is a better choice than a below par first choice. I do wonder if some of them pulled one over on the selectors to get there who are pretty much ruthless in their picks. Plenty of big name favourites have been dropped in the past.

Paula Radcliffe had the bottle to admit she wasn't going to succeed in this games and pulled out magnanimously to allow the stand in to compete. It doesn't matter that her understudy didn't do much, but if Paula broke down again in competition, we would be talking of selfishness on her part.

But in the end, we can't win every event with glory and we haven't done bad so far. And as Seb Coe says, the Olympics gives no respect to reputations.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Brillient!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I got an e-mail from my Aussie friend this morning asking the question they are asking out there. What is about five inches in diameter, silver and covered in dust? Answer... The CD containing the Australian National Anthem.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I have just been watching a race in which a girl from a middle eastern country was wearing a head scarf. It suddenly occurred to me that if athletes such as the long distance runners like Mo Farrer, were to have an ear-piece and be getting instructions from the coach. (does he need one?) It might be an advantage to know where your adversaries are positioned. But would a radio device be allowed in competition.

The high jumpers and long jumpers seem to be able to consult their respective coaches between jumps etc. So why can't all competitors in all events be allowed radio communication and advice from their coaches?

I thought the Russian high jumper in last night's event was brilliant but would have gone higher if he had got a haircut prior to his event.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

This maybe a knock on effect already. Some Liverpool parks are to have boats (Probably rowing boats) back on its lakes, I remember rowing boats on the lakes pre WW2, but there is no doubt in my mind that they will be a big attraction again. I don't know any good reason why they were removed.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Come in boat 91... Boat 16 are you in trouble?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Roman Sebrle another UK injured athlete drops out of the Decathlon.

Not sure if he had previous injury's but after winning the 100 metres he landed poorly on his strapped up knee and had to withdraw.

Not sure if he went into the competition with problems or not but the decathlon is not a race where you can carry on if injured.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?