We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Team GB

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Are there still any doubting prophets of doom out there?

This nation is experiencing the greatest national feelgood factor I've ever experienced. The general uplift is quite noticeable everywhere around here, especially with a local gold athlete doing so well.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Oops, that bold bit was supposed to be in italics.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

alan14

[So yes, it wouldn't cost us a bean, but it would cost us a fair proportion of our medals]

So was it worth quite a few Billion just to give someone gold medals.

Wherever they were they would still have got gold medals and what would it have cost.

You never know it may have been a great success and we may well make money out of it we will just have to wait and see.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

FE: I disagree with your posting at 7.29 on Saturday night.

Of course we would still be celebrating their successes. The Olympics was scheduled to happen. That it is happening in London is down to sleight of hand.

In the Bid Documents, presented to the IOC, the estimated cost was given be about £2.75 Billion. Little did we know that this was a complete fabrication, a guess, based on no more than a hunch. The final figure has been more like £9.5 Billion

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I should not be complaining.

I have just been doing my books, for the the Taxi, last weekend and my Tips have almost doubled.

Could this be the "Feelgood Factor"

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

wee eddie. Don't tell the tax man.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"We will see a change in our relationship with the monarchy."

I think that's already happened. The combination of the Diamond Jubilee, the Olympics, very visible Royal attendances and the Queen skydiving in to open the games has even had quite a positive effect on the republicans like myself.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

the estimated cost was given be about £2.75 Billion. Little did we know that this was a complete fabrication

Oh, I think we had a pretty good idea!

The true test will be in the years ahead. Can we continue to finance and maintain the facilities and put them to good use.

I hope we can.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"the estimated cost was given be about £2.75 Billion"

That represents good value for money for what we got for it.

Compare that to what we've given the financially incompetent EU member states in recent months in return for an even heavier millstone, and you can see that we have at least got something for our money!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

The cost for security was set at £650 million and I can see that rising.

If it comes in on Budget they will have done very well.

Was the 2.7 billion including all the stadiums etc.

Now just came up with a good idea.

Why not give everyone that represents the UK a medal of some sort even though they have to post them to them.

And as they get older their children will see the medals and say I want one of those.And then they might go out training instead of sitting about on their computers or phones playing games etc.

Just a comment while here, when I was younger I am sure Australia were usually at the top or near the top of the medal board in most of the Olympic games.

Whatever has happened to them.They do not seem to be as good at sports as they used to be.Or have I just got a bad memory.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

What happened to the Aussies?

Well we've won a lot of the medals that they usually win. They've now dropped to 25th position, and what's even worse, is that you now have to scroll down the table to see them!!!

Am I bothered?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes