We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Team GB

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Are there still any doubting prophets of doom out there?

This nation is experiencing the greatest national feelgood factor I've ever experienced. The general uplift is quite noticeable everywhere around here, especially with a local gold athlete doing so well.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woody

My response was based on the assumption that the person who made the remark did so with the Olympic Games in mind. As this thread is about the games I think it was a reasonable assumption.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If you don't believe that our third position in the games is creating a national feelgood factor, check out the Aussie press for how a bad 24th position (that's disastrous for the Aussies) affects the nation.

A friend of mine went there 6 years ago and can't believe the effect of a poor Olympic performance on the national psyche. They're on a real national downer.

But I won't feel sorry for them while we're so up...

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

[This nation is experiencing the greatest national feelgood factor I've ever experienced] Now that is true but what happens when it is over and the feelbad factor may creep in if we find it has gone way over budget.

I don't think that maybe we got the amount of visitors that we were expecting and shop sales in London have been reported to be very poor.So no help to the economy there.

I think a lot of us were all for the Olympics coming before the bank crisis and after the bank crisis there were those that doubted the price it was going to cost and whether it should have been cancelled.

But the building had started so we had no option to carry on.

Now if all the ticket sales TV rights advertising does manage to make us break even I would be highly delighted but I cannot see that happening.

It has been a delight to watch but at what cost only time will tell.

If it had been held in the US or somewhere like that it would just have been as good and cost us nothing.

If you are at home and money is a bit tight you don't go out and buy fancy cars or goods that you can't afford you stay at home and save for those things.

The show must go on and I must say it has been excelent what I have seen of it.

The downside may be the cost but I suppose we enjoy it while we can.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"The downside may be the cost but I suppose we enjoy it while we can."

Just like the occasional extravagant restaurant meal, or holiday, or shopping spree, or... Sometimes it's just the right thing to do what the bank manager doesn't approve of and to hell with it, we've all at sometime done that!

So just enjoy it while we can, we'll never again do as well as this, it's the home turf that's making us so successful, and we're very unlikely to see it again in our lifetime, even if your only 20.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

fourm member

It would still have been good but like you say not as good as what we have just witnessed.

But it would have cost us nothing.That bit was correct.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

buteman

The results are down to the "12th man", the audience.

We would not have stadia fill with "Team GB" fans if it was anywhere else, we would not have the blanket coverage, we would not have the atmosphere.

So yes, it wouldn't cost us a bean, but it would cost us a fair proportion of our medals

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I heard Evan Davies on radio 4 come up with a new word (to me) this morning when he inquired, "Why have Team GB medalled so much?"

"The fantastic support is making all the difference." came the reply from one of the Team coaches.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

There is no contradiction in lauding our Athletes and saying that the whole thing is a most stupendous waste of funds that could have been more effectively spent elsewhere.

Basically, that's it, but then it's also wrong to assume we can't afford it. Despite our whining, we have loads of money.

This debate, as with many, does get very polarized, when in fact it's perfectly possible to hold mixed opinions. You don't have to be one of these poeple posting all over facebook about how meaninglessly proud to be British you are, or an out and out cynic. But you do have to be realistic, as this excellent piece points out:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/02/rio-2016-santa-claus-olympic-profit

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Medalled is buy no means new, you sheltered soul ;)

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Simon Jenkins has been consistently opposed to the Olympics for a number of years. It is, therefore, not surprising that he sees no legacy.

He is still correct, I'm afraid.

It won't be a figure you can point to on a spreadsheet. If it happens, and it will need a sustained effort long after the games are over, it will come from intangible things.

Well, we are promised a tangible uplift. Jenkns correctly points out it will not happen. Actually, he doesn't make enough of the businesses that are losing out. Johnson et al would have use believe they will "win" in th elong run. They won't.

We might see reduced obesity in young people if sport in schools is boosted.

We probably won't. Obesity is all about food. We will see most kids seeing Coke advertsing and drinking it, or their sports drink products.

We might see a change in attitudes to disability if the enthusiasm last through to the Paralympics.

"We might see society as a whole become more open and friendly as a result of the whole volunteering aspect."

Highly unlikely, and that's not what Jenkins and Boris are talking about.

Jenkins is talking about financial return, and something is wrong if you think Boris et al are not talking about that too, so you and Jenkins are at cross purposes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do