We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Team GB

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Are there still any doubting prophets of doom out there?

This nation is experiencing the greatest national feelgood factor I've ever experienced. The general uplift is quite noticeable everywhere around here, especially with a local gold athlete doing so well.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

Must be an age thing.I used to watch all sports but now it does not bother me whether I watch it or not.

I have never been into the horse riding events but I have to admit I watched a fair bit of it at the beginning of the week.

Like you say Great stuff to watch if you are "into" sport.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

**The Olympic games are under the control of the IOC. LOCOG can't do anything without IOC approval. If you remember the build-up in the past seven years, there were a number of inspection visits by the IOC to make sure things were being done as it required.**

And the relevance of that statement to the empty seats? Anyway according to Lord Coe:

The Olympic venues were "stuffed to the gunnels", a comment that was met with disbelief by Olympic ground pass-holders unable to fill rows of empty seats being broadcast on big screens in the park.

So I am not sure what I have been seeing on the TV. But no doubt as usuall it will be someone else's fault and lessons will be learnt and Rio will have packed stadia.Not.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

There is no contradiction in lauding our Athletes and saying that the whole thing is a most stupendous waste of funds that could have been more effectively spent elsewhere.

Like this post
Bapou

Likes # 0

Went round to our local Chinese Takeaway last night about 6pm. No other customer inside, six staff crowded round the shop tv watching the Badminton final between two Chinese ladies. Not one of them took any notice of me, they were engrossed, after 20 minutes someone did and asked for my order. Just as well, the match looked as though it could have gone on forever, these girls were brilliant and I know nowt about badminton.

Took a while to be served and was late home with the peking duck etc. Who cares? Cheering like mad, when one or the other scored a point they obviously were enjoying themselves and anyway they really are nice people.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bapou

Your comment that "they really are nice people" illustrates my feeling about what I've seen myself and heard from others - that people of all nationalities seem to be entering into the true spirit of the Olympics. My son was in the stadium with some friends last night, and he says that the friendly atmosphere was quite something. People from several different countries were in the seats around him, and we're cheering Jessica Ennis when she won her medal.

I'm not what you would call a sports fanatic, but perhaps it's true that sport really can unite people of all nations.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"There is no contradiction in lauding our Athletes and saying that the whole thing is a most stupendous waste of funds that could have been more effectively spent elsewhere."

Yes there is.

If we hadn't staged the games there would be no lauding to do.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"There is no contradiction in lauding our Athletes and saying that the whole thing is a most stupendous waste of funds that could have been more effectively spent elsewhere." Yes there is. If we hadn't staged the games there would be no lauding to do."

Lauding = Praise; glorification.

So none of our sports persons are "lauded" except at Olympics held here!

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

The feelgood factor referred to by Quickbeam in his original post starts with those that are attending the various sports at the various venues. I am part of the volunteer workforce and am deployed on the entry gates into the Olympic Park and Wembley.

The enthusiasm on the part of ticket holders entering the venues has been a joy, especially at the Olympic Park where many have bought tickets for events about which they very little, but are genuinely thrilled just to be part of the Games and the competition generated. Smiling faces everywhere.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

woody

So none of our sports persons are "lauded" except at Olympics held here!

Quite apart from being lauded, they're hardly even heard of outside the Olympics, so yes, without these Olympic games, we would not be lauding the efforts of these athletes

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

ALAN14 - I think you will find that people with a TV or can read noticed the sports persons at previous Olympics also there are some who follow individual sports (Europe/World) events and lauded their success - even I have noticed some and admired the dedication needed to get at international level - and I do not follow 99percent of sports.You are not really suggesting no one "lauded" Coe/Redgrave/Bannister etc. Today's and future sports persons may as well give up now as most of us will not have the problem of another Olympics!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July