We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Team GB

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Are there still any doubting prophets of doom out there?

This nation is experiencing the greatest national feelgood factor I've ever experienced. The general uplift is quite noticeable everywhere around here, especially with a local gold athlete doing so well.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I think that the penny has finally dropped at the IOC, that there must be no empty seats seen in Rio.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Ah, 'lessons have been learned.'

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

PCA members certainly deserve a gold medal for first class cynicism...

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I'm normally not the least bit interested in sport of any kind, but watching the joy on the faces of all those Brits that have made the medals, and appreciating the effort that has gone into producing those results, has reduced me to tears on more than one occasion!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

There was an interview with three of the top coaches on BBC TV this morning. I couldn't help a wry smile when I recognised the accents. One was Australian, one was German and the third might have been British. But if getting the top coaches from around the world does the trick, then "that's the way to do it". It is the same in rugby league, we seem to have a preponderance of Australian coaches. "Good on ya Blue".

What are the chances of recruiting a German or Aussie coach for our national football team?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Chronus

"Yep the empty seats have been testament to the excellent organisation."

In fairness, the blame for the empty seat problem is something that should be laid at the door of the International Olympic Committee, rather than the London Games organisers. The Committee is an elitist organisation of the worst kind.

My remarks about organisation were really about my personal experiences, and perhaps I should have made that clear.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Chronus

"Yep the empty seats have been testament to the excellent organisation."

In fairness, the blame for the empty seat problem is something that should be laid at the door of the International Olympic Committee, rather than the London Games organisers. The Committee is an elitist organisation of the worst kind.

My remarks about organisation were really about my personal experiences, and perhaps I should have made that clear.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I must admit what bits I have seen of it have been really good and exciting.

It started off a bit slow but picking up fast now.

Up in my daughters house last night and turned on to watch the 10.000 metre race and my grandson turned it over to the football.

Not a lot I could say about that without causing a row but missed out on the long jump and 10.000 metre race.

England never lost in penalties they lost because they were so boring and the best team won.

I should have said Uk team but it is not what I would call a Uk team.

It was quoted the other night that they were connecting to 65% of passes but most of those were in there own half.

Apart from that a great days entertainment.

All the ones expecting to get medals are getting them.The ones not expecting to get them are not.

In years gone bye you used to get the odd one that would rise above expectations and surprise us by getting a gold medal not sure we have had any real surprises yet.

What I mean is someone who was not expected to get a medal and then gets gold.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

buteman. Yes I have also been waiting for an unsung competitor to rise from the depths and surprise us all. It may well yet happen.

I am a bit peeved because if my wife had been alive we would have ventured down to London, to watch whatever events we could get in to. (She loved watching the Olympics and Daley Thompson the decathlete in particular). She would also have been watching the tennis, but most of all she would have been delighted with the cycling as she always was a club cyclist. I think she has been pulling a few strings up there.....

But they are doing well without my support. Great stuff to watch if you are "into" sport.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

FE

I was not criticising your statement about the games organisation as such. More the fact that the empty seat problem is not new and each time it occurs we hear the usual meaningless phrase that 'lessons will be learnt' and the next games the empty seats are there for all to see.

Whether this a problem with the International Olympic Committee it does not excuse the London Games organisers for not getting their finger out and doing something about it.

But I agree, though I cannot speak from personal experience living up here in Edinburgh, the games seem to be running as smoothly as anyone could have hoped and look to be a lot of fun for those lucky enough to be there in person. Even the weather has been pretty fair.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing