We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Large Payoffs For Top Policemen

oresome

Likes # 0

It's been disclosed that some of the Met's top policemen received substantial payoffs following their resignation while under scrutiny from MPs or the Mets own disciplinary board regarding the phone hacking saga, contract allocation and receiving freebies etc.

If senior staff volunteer to walk, should they be compensated?

If they stay to face the music does the distraction make the day job impossible?

Should we reward people for at best incompetence or at worst dishonesty?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I saw that also. We up here in Scotland had a council finance chief who 'retired' at fifty after being paid £63,000 whilst on 'gardening leave' with a £500,000 payoff. This finance cheif was in charge when a scam defrauded the council of £100,000 and she also made £38,000,000 'arithmetical errors' in budget cuts.

It seems once you reach a certain position you are rewarded no matter what you do whilst in the job. You can be sacked,suspended forced to resign and still come out with a bulging bank balance. The rest of us have to fight for any penny we are due.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Perhaps the pay-off should be awarded but held back until the investigation is concluded. It could then be withdrawn if the officer is found guilty of misconduct.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

This can happen in most high places, its not just the police service. Like Chronus as mentioned regarding council's. My local council as had its more than fair share of events, leading to paid leave and final 'golden hand shakes'. And the public can do very little about it.

You might possibly think about the size of the Met, and how many people are employed by that establishment, and human nature will always result in some problems from time to time. and no doubt this story will blow over like many have in the past, it always does.

All still recalls the Tarique Ghaffur CBE QPM incident, I would suspect not many?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Whoops correction: " Who still recalls the Tarique Ghaffur CBE, QPM incident, I would suspect not many?"

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

spuds

I do not understand your reference to Ghaffur.

He alleged he was a victim of racism and discrimination, received £300k from an out of court settlement and retired.

How does this fit in with officers who left with outstanding allegations of wrong doing (allegations that were subsequently found to be without foundation).

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I don't think it's in dispute that the chief took a free stay in a nursing home following an operation.

I don't think it's in dispute that the press officer awarded a contract to a favoured candidate without going through due process.

I don't think it's in dispute that the cursory glance at the available evidence regarding phone hacking before dismissing further action was woefully inadequate.

People in these positions really should know better.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

a lot of civil service jobs have the option to cash in commute a lump sum out of their pension tax free on retirement in return for a reduced monthly pension

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

fourm member

What you say makes sense, but considering that we are now suppose to live in a transparent society, why do these 'confidentiality agreements' still exist, especially in public service?.

My own council have paid out £millions for these type of agreements, and trying to get information is usually met with a statement of 'not in the public's interest', and as such shrouded in complete and total secrecy. Unless or until a 'independent whistle-blower' becomes involved usually after further public concern?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

bremner

I used the reference to Tarique Ghaffur as an example to the originator of this post comments, and how I considered these events (of any kind) are perhaps soon forgotten, especially names.

On a personal note, the name Tarique Ghaffur soon springs to mind very easily, because both he and I worked for the same police force, and we met on a regular basis. So perhaps I know a little more about the person and more interested in the events that took place?.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

spuds

I thought you were drawing a parallel between officers under investigation resigning.

I was clarifying that TG was not under investigation when he retired, quite the opposite, he was taking the Met to an ET.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?