We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tesco's Finest and Clubcard Points Too

oresome

Likes # 0

Tesco are offering mortgages from next week along with the groceries and customers will receive one point for every four pounds of monthly repayment.

I hope I don't get in the queue behind the customer completing the mortgage application at the checkout.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Tesco Bank, which revealed this weekend that it will start selling mortgages tomorrow, is planning to use data culled from grocery bills to judge whether or not to grant a loan.

An interesting twist on the usual credit rating criteria.

I don't know if eating baked beans on toast will be deemed good, because you are living within you means or buying champagne and caviar proves you must have money.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I guess they may use weekly grocery bills as a measure of a person's lifestyle, and therefore his/her ability to service the loan repayments. Either that or preference will be shown to those who regularly shop at Tesco - all other things being equal.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

As I said earlier. I shop at the local Tesco for convenience, so I wonder if my regular order of 4 individual packaged garlic roll's at 32p each, instead of purchasing a 2x same type twin packaged garlic roll's at a dearer price, make me a good financial and wise risk on the database :O)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The Co-op's instore mantra is "Good with Food"...I wish someone would think of something else as it is driving me round-the-bend!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Regarding Lidl, Aldi etc

Yes, these shops are cheaper, and a couple of years ago when times where tight for me personally I started to shop a Lidl instead of Asda.

What I found was that yes I could walk to Lidl and buy stuff, but I couldn't buy everything I needed, and often they would be out of stock of the most basic items. So I would also have to go to a few other shops, and often I'd have to get in the car to drive to Asda anyway as I could get something I really needed.

So I started to collect up all my receipts, work out fuel and time spent and realised that after all it was cheaper to shop at Asda. Yes the basics may be fractionally dearer, but the whole shop will usually be cheaper.

I've also checked the supermarket price check promotions and Asda's seems to be the best and most honest.

Half the time the Tesco check fails to recognise my receipt details, and the Sainsbury scheme only compares certain products

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

fourm member

'Reduced for quick sale', you won't stand a chance at our local three Coops in mid afternoon, when the reductions are virtual give aways. Usually starts off at half price, and reduces further throughout the day.

As for the card, no cheapskate about it, I have just had my £7.50 share bonus payment. Lovely jubbly as Del Boy would say!.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

All the major supermarket price comparison schemes work in much the same way - they have to, in order that the stores remain competitive. It means that you can pay the same price for a specific none own-branded item at more or less any supermarket in the country at any given moment.

That's why it makes little difference which chain you use, provided you're only buying items on the price comparison list, and why the stores are constantly trying to come up with new tweaks on the same scheme.

The gains and losses are to be made when you move away from pre-packaged items into the realms of say, fish or meat, or items on the deli counter.

We are currently shopping at a huge new Morrisons store about two miles from where we live, despite having all of the 'big three' national chains much closer. We make savings on fruit, vegetables, meat and fish etc., and the difference can be quite marked. The problem with making these comparisons is always one of comparing quality - a cheaper pork chop isn't necessarily as good as a more expensive one, although sometimes it might be.

Overall, provided you buy precisely the same branded items you will end up paying almost the same for a given basket wherever you shop, with the possible exception of Lidl, where you may pay slightly less. The best price check deal for many people will be at Sainsbury because you get your price check voucher there and then, at the till. That's a big puller for many people, particularly the elderly.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Tesco Bank is,well a Bank. The price of groceries seems irrelevent. I think some financial commentators welcome the competition against the Big High Street names.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

At one time Tesco believed their brand was so strong they could use it to sell anything.

That's not quite the case. Selling used cars has been dropped, so too estate agency I believe.

While they have a commanding lead in grocery sales in the UK, there is a significant anti Tesco movement, particularly where they are trying to introduce their stores to new areas. They are seen by many as bully boys.

They recently announced their first drop in profits for twenty years and the share price plummeted as a result.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

It's a seperate entity from the stores. They have a worldwide Banking and insurance operation. Firm ref no.186022, don't appear to be a brand of any of the Big Boys and are covered by the FSA compo scheme.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK