We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tesco's Finest and Clubcard Points Too

oresome

Likes # 0

Tesco are offering mortgages from next week along with the groceries and customers will receive one point for every four pounds of monthly repayment.

I hope I don't get in the queue behind the customer completing the mortgage application at the checkout.

Like this post
cream.

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

Perhaps you should step back a few paces and see how your aggressive posts come over to others.

If you disagree with any one, you come in both guns blazing and are not content till you have wiped the floor with them. If they stand up to you or try to pose their point of view you always come back with either

If you don't want your posts to be responded to it would be better not to post in the first place.

or maybe you should look for another forum.

Just think why many may visit the forum but just a very small few visitors regularly post comments.

No doubt I will be asked to look for a forum more suitable to my expectations. Or to be pounced on for one word or phrase I have posted, so it can be twisted into negativity.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

" because it has huge financial resources, and a wealth of expertise"

But didn't or doesn't this same statement apply to banks, who have been in existence for many years, perhaps some far longer than Tesco. And look how that as turned out, with the 'customer' having to bail out the financial service companies.

I shop every week at my local Tesco superstore, mainly based on convenience and not on ever increasing prices. Commodities that they might sell or introduce one month, might well not be available another, because while the public might want them,or Tesco expertise might want them, Tesco profit margin doesn't always guarantees to support them.

And please don't insult peoples intelligence by talking about competition, because it doesn't take all that very far, to see how competition works in this country, and perhaps more so for big business enterprises.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"As far as groceries go I've abandoned Asda and Tesco. Far too expensive."

That all depends on your average basket.

If you feed your family on economy value own brand ready meals, it will be cheaper than buying a supermarkets premium brand meal packs that compare favorably with M&S ready meal prices, but feeding a family from M&S bought raw, but quality basic ingredients that you make into your own dishes will be cheaper than a supermarket's economy branded ready meals. And buying basic ingredients from Aldi or the like for home preparation will be even cheaper still.

I use Morrisons myself for 2 reasons. I. they're only half a mile away and 2. their price and quality suit my average basket. Someone else's basket choice will have them ruling Morrisons out for one reason or another.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I have been on this forum for about ten years now and I must confess that, unfortunately, I do have some sympathy with the views expressed by Cream.

Every so often someone expresses a view that seems to annoy the FE with the post from rdave13 being the latest example. Admittedly his statement "I'm obviously in the wrong again. Ahh to be a god of knowledge." does come across as a bit sarcastic but the response from the FE to call him childish and accuse him of making a ridiculous statemnt is not what I would have expected in my earlier years here.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

I agree with rddave, Tesco have definitely become more expensive in the last 6 months or so, and they have reduced their product range to maximise profits. We are retired and fortunately have the time to shop around and compare prices and we find that Morrisons and the German chains offer FAR better value than Tesco. Just as an observation, why does the FE respond in capital letters ? I have always understood it is rude to shout on forums !

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

amonra - Bold not CAPITALS ;-)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Cream.

"Perhaps you should step back a few paces and see how your aggressive posts come over to others."

Please point out where I have been 'aggressive' in this thread. I responded to a comment from another forum user who said "I'm obviously in the wrong again. Ahh to be a god of knowledge." when I simply responded to a couple of points he made.

I didn't 'wipe the floor' with this person at all. He/she made some statements and I questioned them. That's what a discussion forum is for. Some people seem to have a problem with that, they say things, and then don't like it when someone picks up on an inaccurate statement, or finds a flaw in their argument. That's when we get the unpleasant remarks, and the innuendo - you're doing it yourself, with your "No doubt I will be asked to look for a forum more suitable to my expectations. Or to be pounced on for one word or phrase I have posted, so it can be twisted into negativity." Why did you feel it necessary to say that?

For years people have been telling me that 'only a few people post' because I'm so aggressive and cruel, yet our traffic figures have steadily climbed. Of course only a relatively small percentage of our registered users post - that's true of all mixed content sites. The fact is, we have as many people posting now as we ever had.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

amonra

"Just as an observation, why does the FE respond in capital letters ? I have always understood it is rude to shout on forums !"

It is, but I don't respond in capitals, ever. I think you're confusing capitals with bold type

I use bold (as do some other forum members) to indicate who I'm addressing, and that I'm quoting a comment made by someone else. I could use italics, but I prefer bold.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spuds

"And please don't insult peoples intelligence by talking about competition, because it doesn't take all that very far, to see how competition works in this country, and perhaps more so for big business enterprises."

Talking about competition doesn't insult anyone's intelligence, it's a fact.

All commercial enterprises are in competition with other businesses - that's how a market economy works. The food sector is a particularly good example of it. Supermarket price competition is fierce; you only have to visit Sainsburys or Waitrose to see how they compete with Tesco - they mark up their shelf edges with 'Tesco price match' labels, etc.

Such competition works to the advantage of the consumer, as does all market-economy retail competition. The bigger the business, the more likely it is that it will face serious competition from companies with similar product ranges. Tesco is in competition with every other food retail chain in the country.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Calm down dears, it was meant to be a light hearted thread!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia