We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I'll never complain about a midgie bite again...

Brumas

Likes # 0

My distraught sister has just phoned to tell me that her husband is in hospital after being bit by, as yet unknown, insect.

He works as a ship's agent which necessitates him boarding ships in the port of Hull and doing what a ship's agent does. Apparently he was between decks and he felt a bite on his foot, as he was wearing steel toe capped leather boots it must have been one helluva bite!

On reaching the captain's cabin he managed to get his boot off a rapidly swelling foot to discover puncture marks on his big toe but no sign of the wee beastie what did it. His whole leg began swelling and he was rushed to hospital, his leg by now three times as big as his other leg. His blood pressure and temperature were sky high and, understandably, he felt pretty crap. His leg has ballooned so much that the skin is splitting and blistering and breaking into open sores. He is on intravenous antibiotics and painkillers and here is the worrying part, large doses of a 'purple' pill because they think the beastie has burrowed inside him and the pills are meant to kill whatever it is!!!

I asked my sister where the ship had sailed from but I'm afraid she didn't know as she was too upset to asked. Any further developments I'll post as and when.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

lotvic, I did do and immediately regretted it - those images made feel rather sick! It didn't mention the limb swelling or turning deep blue, red and yellow, just as well really.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Mine got better, can't tell I ever had it now, except for a slight dusky oval mark size of a 1p on original site of scratch. It takes a long time. I hope brother-in-law makes good progress.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

lotvic thanks for that.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Brumas. Any chance of an updated report? Is the victim ready to go back to work for instance. I imagine he will be off work for some considerable time. Probably thanking his lucky stars that he didn't have to have an amputation. I hope he is well on the road to a complete recovery and that eventually he, and we, will find out what caused it.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Sorry about not keeping you posted but there hasn't been anything of interest to report. He was let home Friday and has been taken back to the hospital daily at 10 o'clock to carry on the intravenous treatment. He is still feeling great discomfort, the swelling is going down really slowly and the pills/intravenous medication is still making him feel wretched.

When I ask about the incident itself and the possible ramifications my sister doesn't seem to want to discuss it, so I don't press her as much as I'd like to.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I would guess if a solicitor etc is involved then it doesn't 'do' to discuss details at this stage, especially on a forum?

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

lotvic, Quite so.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites