We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I'll never complain about a midgie bite again...

Brumas

Likes # 0

My distraught sister has just phoned to tell me that her husband is in hospital after being bit by, as yet unknown, insect.

He works as a ship's agent which necessitates him boarding ships in the port of Hull and doing what a ship's agent does. Apparently he was between decks and he felt a bite on his foot, as he was wearing steel toe capped leather boots it must have been one helluva bite!

On reaching the captain's cabin he managed to get his boot off a rapidly swelling foot to discover puncture marks on his big toe but no sign of the wee beastie what did it. His whole leg began swelling and he was rushed to hospital, his leg by now three times as big as his other leg. His blood pressure and temperature were sky high and, understandably, he felt pretty crap. His leg has ballooned so much that the skin is splitting and blistering and breaking into open sores. He is on intravenous antibiotics and painkillers and here is the worrying part, large doses of a 'purple' pill because they think the beastie has burrowed inside him and the pills are meant to kill whatever it is!!!

I asked my sister where the ship had sailed from but I'm afraid she didn't know as she was too upset to asked. Any further developments I'll post as and when.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

One of the ground rules, for the warmer parts of the world, is that one thoroughly shakes out all shoes and clothing before dressing, which I'm sure he did.

I doubt that a Scorpion could hang on during a good shaking or stay there long without being noticed.

However a Spider or Millipede could easily have done that.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I've been wondering....

Is it conceivable that something may have been inside your brother in law's boot when he put it on, or could the cause of these puncture marks even have been associated with the boot itself - the steel toecap, for instance?

Presumably a thorough inspection of the inside of the boot has taken place. If an insect of some kind was involved you might expect it to have been seen as the boot came off.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It sounds like severe Cellulitis. It's very painful, hope he's making progress.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

I have just spoke to my sister and she reports that there is not much improvement and the leg is going down real slowly, he still feels dreadful but believes that to be partially caused by the 'cocktail' of drugs he is on.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

FE, apparently the steel toecap was untouched and he had put the boots on when he set off from home as normal. I presume a thorough search was made but I should imagine in the heat of the moment more attention was being devoted to the injury and it could have been missed, I don't really know, I'm only guessing.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

I have just had a phone call from my other sister to say he is being allowed home tomorrow but must report back every day for a week to carry on his intravenous treatment.

This seems rather premature to me, but I'm no doctor and must bow to their superior knowledge, all I can think of is that they must be short of beds!!

I shall phone up tonight to try to find out more information.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Brumas. That does sound as if there is some improvement. But we will keep our collective fingers crossed for him and his family of course.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

I have just spoken to my sister and she confirmed that he was coming home tomorrow. She said they would have to dress his leg if he wanted to venture outdoors ( a bit obvious really!) and also that he would never regain his normal skin colour.

I asked if they knew what it was, they said something to do with the bacteria present on his skin getting into the puncture marks!? I also asked what the solicitors were saying and was told she hadn't heard from them - I told her to just make sure that everything that could be done, was being done, to ensure her husband was duly recompensed for all that he had been through!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Brumas do a google for Staphylococci Cellulitis

I had it in my right hand, swelling only got as far as just past wrist and it was a very mild case but had to take antibiotics for ages. It started with a scratch whilst I was doing a mucky job, I'm very careful to wear rubber/latex gloves now.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Any compensation awarded to your brother-in-law (if any) would hinge on the medical reports of the Hospital to prove any negligence by a third party.It's good news he's on the mend. (sorry for stating the obvious).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...