We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I'll never complain about a midgie bite again...

Brumas

Likes # 0

My distraught sister has just phoned to tell me that her husband is in hospital after being bit by, as yet unknown, insect.

He works as a ship's agent which necessitates him boarding ships in the port of Hull and doing what a ship's agent does. Apparently he was between decks and he felt a bite on his foot, as he was wearing steel toe capped leather boots it must have been one helluva bite!

On reaching the captain's cabin he managed to get his boot off a rapidly swelling foot to discover puncture marks on his big toe but no sign of the wee beastie what did it. His whole leg began swelling and he was rushed to hospital, his leg by now three times as big as his other leg. His blood pressure and temperature were sky high and, understandably, he felt pretty crap. His leg has ballooned so much that the skin is splitting and blistering and breaking into open sores. He is on intravenous antibiotics and painkillers and here is the worrying part, large doses of a 'purple' pill because they think the beastie has burrowed inside him and the pills are meant to kill whatever it is!!!

I asked my sister where the ship had sailed from but I'm afraid she didn't know as she was too upset to asked. Any further developments I'll post as and when.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Brumas, Sorry to hear about your brother-in-law's predicament, I join everybody on the forum in wishing him a speedy recovery.

Yes I remember being warned about that particular spider when I was stationed in Ceylon (Sri-Lanka). We were always aware of anything like that when we went on Ban-yans for the day. Then of course it may be a spider from Australia, one of those Funnel-web spider thingy's I think they are called. 

But all this doesn't help in this case until they discover what it was, I suppose they checked the boot to see if maybe it had crawled in there whilst he was standing still, then because he moved and maybe squashed it, it would re-act and bite. It certainly sounds more likely to be some sort of spider than a snake. But how would any thing big enough to leave two see-able puncture marks be small enough to get in to his body?
Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Bing.alau "But how would any thing big enough to leave two see-able puncture marks be small enough to get in to his body?"

That's what I cannot get my head around?

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

I've just spoke to my sister and things aren't looking too good. The wound is not healing and his leg is suppurating, they intend transferring him to a highly infectious ward or hospital, whereabouts at present unknown, because they admit they are baffled!

Apparently, the ship was unloading black bin liners full of waste food, YUK, because Goole wouldn't accept the cargo. The whole of Hull are up in arms, quite rightly so, because of what can only be described as a revolting health risk. I cannot for the life of me see why this stuff should be shipped, surely it should be incinerated at the source. My sister is not even sure where the cargo originated!!

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

I guess my wife was lucky it wasn't the Fringed Ornamental Tarantula. We where never advised as to the name of the spider.

Must agree with you regarding Sri Lanka.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm so sorry about the news. You must all be very worried.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

On a more practical level, the only advice I could give to my sister was to contact her husband's trade union - he should never have been exposed to this type of hazard and consequently they should pursue the matter so that it could never happen again i.e. making sure subsequent cargoes were fumigated.

I also suggest she contact the Hull Daily Mail to let everyone know what was happening, after all the bags have to end up somewhere and the possibility of this happening again is quite likely!

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Brumas, Sorry to hear about your family trouble. I hope that it gets resolved with a good outcome.

OTT_B

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

Has the hospital been in touch with the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (I think that's the name)?

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

VCR97 I sincerely hope so, that would be the first thing I would do and presumably doctors would also seek advice if they were 'baffled' I'll ask my sister when I am next updated.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Thanks again to all those who have expressed concern.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...