We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I'll never complain about a midgie bite again...

Brumas

Likes # 0

My distraught sister has just phoned to tell me that her husband is in hospital after being bit by, as yet unknown, insect.

He works as a ship's agent which necessitates him boarding ships in the port of Hull and doing what a ship's agent does. Apparently he was between decks and he felt a bite on his foot, as he was wearing steel toe capped leather boots it must have been one helluva bite!

On reaching the captain's cabin he managed to get his boot off a rapidly swelling foot to discover puncture marks on his big toe but no sign of the wee beastie what did it. His whole leg began swelling and he was rushed to hospital, his leg by now three times as big as his other leg. His blood pressure and temperature were sky high and, understandably, he felt pretty crap. His leg has ballooned so much that the skin is splitting and blistering and breaking into open sores. He is on intravenous antibiotics and painkillers and here is the worrying part, large doses of a 'purple' pill because they think the beastie has burrowed inside him and the pills are meant to kill whatever it is!!!

I asked my sister where the ship had sailed from but I'm afraid she didn't know as she was too upset to asked. Any further developments I'll post as and when.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Hope it was not a snake.Hope he improves soon.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

ohn bunyan Thanks. He doesn't think it was as there were no signs of one, but having said that I don't know how dark it was where he was.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

In that case it sounds like a spider.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Brumas - I appreciate/understand your sad unfortunate news.I wish your brother-in-law a comprehensive and speedy recovery.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Aitchbee Thanks for that.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Brumas

When you said sudden swelling, my first thoughts were sand fly bites, then a scorpion sting, but the big toe and enclosed steel toe cap boots have made it an even bigger mystery. Jiggers or chigoe fleas could be another thing, they usually attack the feet and penetrate the skin. These originate from the tropics and places like Brazil.

You will have to update us, when more information becomes available.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The fact that your brother in law felt a bite, and found puncture marks (plural) on his toe does make it likely that the culprit was a spider or a snake. The hospital obviously has reason to doubt that, however, if as you say they have reason to believe that something has burrowed into him.

Snake bites often cause a rapid drop in blood pressure, not a rise, although some do cause severe local swelling. The raised blood pressure and temperature experienced by your brother in law could be the result of an allergic reaction, although anaphylaxis also causes a drop in blood pressure.

It's a mystery, but whatever the cause, I hope your brother in law makes a speedy recovery.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Thanks for all who expressed concern, I spoke to my sister late last night however things haven't altered. I shall post any news as and when.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

My wife had a similar experience in Sri Lanka. A slight difference was she felt no bite. In a matter of minutes her arm had doubled in size and was rock hard and she was in a great deal of pain.

At the hotel reception a lady told my wife that it was almost certainly a spider bite and that she must find the puncture marks as often bits of the spiders fangs would be left behind and these must be removed.

It took the Sri Lankan lady several minutes to locate the almost invisable punture marks. She then apply a balm (no idea what it was)and then proceded to remove tiny fragment of what she said where parts of the spiders fangs. Fortunately my wife was a lover of whisky which acted as an anesthetic.

The following day the swelling had subsided somewhat and we where able to continue with a fabulous holiday

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

hssutton

I lived in Sri Lanka for a few years, and heard stories of spider bites. The island is home to one of the world's most poisonous spiders - the Fringed Ornamental Tarantula. It's bite causes intense pain, and can result in coma and even death. I saw one, and it looked beautiful - I gave it a very wide berth.

Your wife's experience sounds awful, and I'm glad you were able to go on and enjoy your holiday. Sri Lanka is truly one of the world's most beautiful islands.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......