We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Olympic First Class Stamps

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Gold medal stamps honour Team GB 2012 Olympics winners

I think that that is absolutely the most fantastic gesture of national recognition that we have ever granted to successful Olympic competitors!

What more can one say?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I was impressed by the Post Office getting yesterday's first gold winners into production, but now that they confirm that the first class stamps will feature all the first class winners, I take my hat off to the Post Office and whoever's idea that it was for the quickly issued stamps and gold post boxes.

In 20/30 years, young kids will be asking their parents 'Why is our post box gold?'. That is a great legacy for Seb's 2012 'Inspire a Generation' motto.

If that doesn't answer if winning is important or not, I don't know what will.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I think the Post Office has just made the desire of Team GB to win a prestigious gold medal even more desiring.

Well, who isn't going to want to be on a postage stamp before the close of games?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

The gold postboxes are a great idea, and of course the medallists and their families will be delighted with the stamps.

The cynic in me can't get away from the idea that the stamps will make a useful addition to the Post Office's revenue stream. They seem to issue new stamps at an alarming rate; it wouldn't surprise me to see a new stamp commemorating my postman's retirement.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

At the risk of coming over almost as enthusiastic as HB gets at times, how long will it be before we hear the competitors mention in their pre competition interviews, how much they want a gold medal and, to be on a stamp?

Who will be the first to declare?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"They seem to issue new stamps at an alarming rate; "

As you say, it helps their revenue stream.

As a stamp collecting schoolboy in the 40s/50s a special issue by Royal Mail was a major event.

After the last Olympics I think the next special issue was the Festival of Britain, three years later, and after another two years, the Coronation.

Now there seems to be half a dozen new issues every year.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Amongst many other things I was a counter clerk with the post office and can recall them 'churning' out piles of, what we called wallpaper, for just about any occasion. I often joked that the next issue would be Famous British Outside Loos because they seemed to commemorate just about everything else ;o}

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The graphic artists at the Stamps Department of the Post Office must have been taking lessons from the engravers of the Trophy winners at Wimbledon and the Open Golf. I'll look out for the Olympic Stamps today.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i thought there was a rule only living person allowed on GB stamps was royal family.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Are you sure that's not banknotes?

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Now I understand the comment by todays female rower on getting gold,her 1st words to the waiting interviewer was "Does that mean I'm on a stamp"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?