We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Winning is not important. Or is it?

oresome

Likes # 0

An analysis of UK medals won in the Bejing Olympics shows a disproportionate number won by those who benefited from a private education.

Rupert Murdoch has entered the debate tweeting that the US and the UK teach that competitive sport is a bad thing, so it's no wonder they don't match China in the medal count. (I believe he's only talking about state schools teaching methods)

So, does money bring advantage or is the state sector taught mediocrity?

Discuss

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I attended a Grammar School & we were good at most sports,not just cricket but "aggressive" sports like rugby(when I was there,we also excelled at long distance running as we made sure we were well in the lead then lay in wait for the other schools runners & ambushed them on the opposite side of the golf course where a few threats meant they allowed us to win lol)

I caught a little bit of early morning TV recently where someone(can't recall who)was saying that since (I think)96,sports in the UK now benefit from lottery funding meaning training of our athletes is much improved.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Chegs ®™

Yes, some sports do benefit from lottery funding, but by no means all.

Take Peter Wilson, our recent double trap Gold medallist. His funding was removed, but at the Beijing Olympics he met his current coach Sheik Ahmed Al Maktoum, who has been funding his training since then.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Does winning matter? Absolutely!

No one ever remembers who came second and it's the same in life.

Get over it, go out and win; but do it fairly.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK