We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Adice from experienced travellers to Japan?

Picklefactory
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi folks I know a number of you have travelled to Japan and I have my first business visit to the country in a couple of weeks time, and just wondering if there is anything in particular that caught any of you unawares on your first trip? Etiquette? Food? Currency etc?

My company would prefer to provide me with US dollars as currency to exchange there, as we rarely travel to Japan, so any spare is a nuisance, I don't envisage any issue with exchange of $ to Yen, but thought I'd ask.

Food doesn't worry me too much, I enjoy pretty much anything, but again, you never know if there's something to watch out for.

Any advice gratefully received.

I'll be passing through Tokyo and then spending the week working in Komatsu in the Ishikawa Prefecture (Well away from Fukushima, thankfully)

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Thanks both Unfortunately I have more than just the direct flight to endure, it was booked last minute, so I have to go B'ham-Frankfurt, Frankfurt-Haneda, Narita-Komatsu..............yay!! Soooo looking forward to that!!! Similar on the way back except Frankfurt becomes Munich

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Don't worry to much about the flight, it will soon pass.

I still recall the days of the Boeing 707 and VC 10's trips out to that part of the world, and the intro of the 747. Travel after that was like going from a bottle of Nut Brown stout to champagne. It use to be like a Thomas Cook trip, with stops in about every country. A twenty two hour flight was nothing, and you certainly ate well.

Remember if you are filling in time and expense sheets, you will gain and/or lose a day- time and date wise?.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Don't worry to much about the flight, it will soon pass."

Having just looked at the stops along the way I'm not so sure. Twelve hour flights can be a nightmare for some, whilst others breeze their way through. A lot depends on which airline you use, and where you sit. You can also make a difference to your experience by the way you interact with the cabin crew - be nice to them and they'll be nice to you.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

On a long flight, with changing planes at airports. I always make sure I have spare undies in my ready use pack. Then when in the gents at your stopover get yourself a quick wash-down and change. It's amazing what a difference it makes to your comfort on your next leg of the journey.

Never had the good luck to visit Japan but I have heard a lot about how nice it is and how wonderful the natives are.

I'm surprised the FE hasn't advised you to take a Kindle for reading. Much easier than books. If you don't own one see if you can borrow one from somebody else and choose to read one of the books on it.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

I'm frightened of being branded a Kindle nut.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

FE. I didn't think anything would frighten you.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

I won't be on my own, at least. The UK agent for the supplier is coming out with me, and he's a very pleasant fella, so that'll help, we'll have a laugh. Regarding where we sit on the plane, I'll see what options are available when we get to the airport. The main flight is with ANA.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

Being a Kindle-phobe, I always make sure I've a couple of audio books on my mp3 player whenever a long-haul flight is in the offing. Since most audio books run out at 7-12 hours, that noramlly does me fine

The UK agent for the supplier is coming out with me, and he's a very pleasant fella, so that'll help, we'll have a laugh

Since you're the customer, on a more pragmatic mode, watch out for an excess of hospitality (aka lots of drinks) from their man. Speaking from experience (once only!), being poured off a long-haul flight is not the greatest of starts to a business trip :-)

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

:o)

Yeah, I've made trips to the states a few times, and depending on travelling days, have partaken of the freebies, but that was always just a 7-8 hr flight, not sure I'd want the tiredness of this epic allied with an over abundence of alcohol. Plus, and more importantly, over indulgence onboard is now seen in a very different light to years gone by, so I'll definitely be taking it steady with the pop.

I've never suffered it before, but I am wondering if I'll get any jet lag, although USA is the longest flight I've done, so maybe not a stern test. Not sure if will affect me, as I've spent my life working all sorts of weird hours, including a long stint of nights, so sleeping at weird times has not previously been an issue, but not as young as I was, so I'll soon find out.

The audio book is a cracking idea, my eyes get tired these days if I read too much, but listening to a book could be a good alternative.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

The audio book is a cracking idea, my eyes get tired these days if I read too much, but listening to a book could be a good alternative.

Also, extremely handy if you've got a squalling brat behind you!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings