We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

...but the First GOLD is even sweeter!

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. YES! Well done.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If we were getting worried about our place in the medal table, 21st yesterday and up to 11th (briefly 10th) in a few hours, the Aussies are are just not happy skippies at all way down in 15th place!

The only thing that miffs me is that France is currently so high, 13 medals in 4th place, and that Italy is currently at 7th, with 9 medals in comparitively minor sports.

Like this post
canaries.lover

Likes # 0

Chegs ®™

Cavendish would not have ridden in the Time Trial, it's just not his sort of event. He has explosive acceleration and a high top speed but only over a very short distance. Wiggins doesn't have those qualities but obviously has ones more suited to the TT as shown by his gold medal. Horses for courses.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

And Frome is already forgotten (so to speak), it must be a real downer to win a creditable bronze, but be left unseen in the shadow of Wiggins's gold.

And Wiggins that's been hailed as our greatest Olympian on medal numbers, doesn't see it as so until he get another gold in Rio.

Gold certainly talks in Olympic circles. A comment I heard recently was that you're only a world champion for a year, but you're an Olympic champion for life.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Mount Olympus only let's Greek gods in ...Mars (the Roman warrior god) has got his own planet penthouse suite ... Mount Olympus,Mars...third planet from the Sun.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'm pleased to note that we've seen the Italians and Germans into their proper lower medal table positions, we've just got a bit more to do stamp on those impertinent French that are still above us... for the moment anyway.

And the South Africans had a cheeky brief flirt in a higher position for a short while after winning their boat race, but that was quickly corrected;)

And what's wrong with the Aussies? They've dropped a place to 16th! I was listening to Jonathan (Aggers) Agnew on 5 Live the other day, he'd been commentating on the Archery before coming up to Headingley to do the test match. Anyway, apparently he was talking to some Aussie dignitary that was getting rather pleased with themselves at beating us at the Lords archery venue, to which he replied that they should make the best of of it, it'll be the only thing they'll be beating us at, at Lords for the foreseeable future!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"some Aussie dignitary that was getting rather pleased with themselves at beating us at the Lords archery venue"

I was at Lords today, watching the final of the women's individual archery competition. It was won by a Korean girl who was quite an amazing archer - she thoroughly deserved her gold medal. A Korean group sitting in front of me went wild with excitement, and one of the men presented me with my own medal - an enamelled badge announcing me as a member of the Korean archery association.

There was a true Olympic atmosphere in the venue, the crowd cheering the victor, regardless of nationality. It's how it should be, although it's always good to see the home team do well.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The last Brit has just been knocked out of the archery in a single arrow play off. The view back to the Lords pavilion from the target end with the temporary seating seems to give it the feel of being in the old Raj.

FE Will you now be applying for Kofi Annan's vacant position after playing the perfect British diplomat yesterday?

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Man walks into a pub for a relaxing drink could not care less about the olympics but looks at screen to see an agile gymnast on the 'beam' and from then on is enthralled as this young American puts in a fantastic performance as did the team GB.

Still not convinced overall but some competitions i enjoy.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"the perfect British diplomat"

To be honest, I have had a good feeling about my fellow citizens on both my visits to the archery at Lords. The crowd cheered and clapped every good performance, regardless of which nation was involved.

The archers responded to that, and were smiling and waving to the whole crowd. The officials were unfailingly friendly and courteous, and the venue was spotless - not a piece of litter in sight.

The Koreans who gave me my badge were connected with the team, and were perfect ambassadors for their country. I'll be in the stadium next week, and am really looking forward to that.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The French Olympic Fencing Team are hard to beat...when it comes to a sword duel...d'you remember 'The Three Muscateers'...En Guarde!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......