We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Good Book "The Etymologicon" FE Will like this one I think

Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I am enjoying reading a Kindle book so much that I thought others on the forum might like to buy it. I think it cost me all of 99 pence. It is called "The Etymologicon" (a Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language) by Mark Forsyth.

I am not an agent for Kindle or Amazon, I just think this is the type of book that some of you will enjoy reading, it is written in what I call short bursts, so that a chapter can be read and put down or, you can read as much as you like.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I thought somebody would be interested in this. Maybe there are no readers on the forum.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I never buy books I can't pronounce!

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

We are all hunting our book of words to find out what it's about!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

It's a book about just that "Words"... where they originate from etc. I was astounded to find the words of the American National Anthem come from a very unusual source. The book is still available on the Amazon Kindle pages, but it may not still be available at 99 pence, then again it may be, because they are having a sale at the moment.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...the meaning of the 'big' E word is a ' skoosh-case '.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

wiz-king I have book-marked that site and will enjoy dipping into it, I quite like unusual words and boy, are there some on that site!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I think it cost me all of 99 pence"

Then you're a very lucky man - the Kindle version is currently priced at £6:23.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

It must have been only on the one day then. I'm certainly enjoying it. I've just found out where the word "Bluetooth" originates from.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Harald "Bluetooth" Gormsson.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

wiz-king. I have also bookmarked that one. Thanks for that. But if you get the chance have a read of this book by Forsyth. It may be available in a library of course, I tend to forget about those places. (Kindle's fault I suppose).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination