We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Yet another of those warning- but this one wont melt your harddrive or steal your data

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

It came very wordy complete with illustrations- so this is an edited text. As the title suggested - it is not about the computer but Us- You and Me.

Those that like to Snopes stuff - tell me if Leptospirosis.strong text weils disieseit is true or not

Drink Cans

This incident happened recently in North Texas . A woman went boating one Sunday taking with her some cans of coke which she put into the refrigerator of the boat. You and Me. On Monday she was taken to the hospital and placed in the Intensive Care Unit. She died on Wednesday.

The autopsy concluded she died of Leptospirosis. This was traced to the can of coke she drank from, not using a glass. Tests showed that the can was infected by dried rat urine and hence the disease Leptospirosis. A study at NYCU showed that the tops of all soda cans are more contaminated than public toilets (i.e.). full of germs The cans are typically stocked in warehouses and transported straight to the shops without being cleaned. It is highly recommended to thoroughly wash the upper part of all soda cans before drinking out of them.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

TheLeptospirosis information centre (American) says:-

"Leptospira require constant immersion in water to survive, and so drying of the surface for any length of time would permanently kill the bacteria. Given that drinking containers are non-porous, surface moisture dries very quickly and cannot possibly contaminate the contents."

I wonder what you do if you want to temporarily kill the bacteria?

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

It is possible to temporarily "kill" the bacteria.

As leptospires do not have a waterproof membrane they must remain immersed in water to survive, and so are killed immediately their environment dries out unless they are intentionally prepared (they can for example be freeze-dried). The inability to survive out of water is the single most important control factor in the natural environment, as it means they are unable to create infection risks from dry surfaces.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

If I passed you a bottle to share you would probably automatically give the neck a cursory wipe, but you'd quite happily drink straight from a bottle or can that had been in a mouse, rat or cockroach infested cellar for three weeks!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...