We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Any serious cyclists here?

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

During the cycle road races the commentators were complaining of the lack of split times not available. This was put down to a massive use of resources by tweeters. Why is this so?

The Tour de France didn't have these problems, is that because tweeters are much more active in the UK?

Too much t'weet t'woo...

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

The main reason is that the riders in the TdF all have ear pieces through which they communicate with their race director. They are not allowed in the Olympics. In the latter teams were using GPS to obtain the information whereas the TdF used local comms channels which are unaffected by use of mobiles.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Thanks for that QuizMan.

Does that mean that the IOC is not using the right technology, or is it only a problem that wasn't foreseen when theirs is used in the UK?

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

I don't think it is using the wrong technology, they just didn't reckon on the amount of spectators and the huge percentage that must have been tweeting. As they are going to ban the use of radios for riders in all events I should think that maybe they should look for an alternative technology for the future. The crowds at the Olympic road race were probably the greatest seen for any event and virtually the whole course was packed to a density that is usually reserved for the mountain tops on the major tours. Tweeting is something that has really only relatively recently reached the proportions that caused this communications breakdown as it certainly didn't affect Beijing in this manner. Chris Boardman was at least trying to do some visual timing but even that is difficult if the cameras don't show the same location for the breakaway riders and then for the peleton. He was faced with the same problem as the viewing public, he could only go by the pictures on the monitors.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Thanks canarieslover, I understand now.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

O2 have owned up to having insufficient network capacity in the Box Hill area to cope with the twitterers in the crowd and the GPS equipment on the bikes

The Register link

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

'The Twitterati' That's got to be the best new word I've ever heard:)

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Quickbeam. Where did you hear it?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's in alan14's The Register link above, near the end.

I can't wait to use it in the pub!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer