We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The First Gong Is The Swetest...

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Especially when it not expected.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...have you been on the Quicksilver Quickbeam?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Here is a comprehensive up-to-date Olympic medal table:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/medals/countries:-

Good Luck Team GB.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Let's try that link...encore une fois.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/medals/countries

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

"encore une fois" Does that mean you are trilingual - is there no end to your languages?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I'm not fluent in Russian, jb.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I went to an Olympic event today - the women's team competition at Lords cricket ground. The British team was knocked out, but I have to say the whole day made me proud of my country and city.

The organisation was superb, everything looked very stylish, and the officials and security staff could not have been more efficient and friendly - my wife wanted information about where to buy food, and spent a minute chatting to an armed Police officer, and she said he was helpful and friendly. The soldiers who operated the airport-type security scanners were the same.

If today was a sample of how we'll run the rest of the events the games will be a triumph.

It was just a pity to see our archers go out at such an early stage, but the Korean girls were worthy gold medallists.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

FE

Lucky chap. I have changed from a bit of a cynic (on cost grounds) to being proud of the whole thing - from the somewhat eccentric but brilliant opening, to the whole package. There are a few blips, such as the inability so far to fill seats where ticket holders do not turn up, but so far, so very good. I keep fingers and toes crossed re security. I think the Armed Services are brilliant and will do a better job than the security firms. I am sure more medals will come...The Chinese 3m synchronised divers well deserved their gold.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Why are there no jelly-fish and litter on the beach-volleyball courts?

Like this post
Wes.Clox

Likes # 0

The British team was knocked out,

Boxing match, was it?

and should it have been

were knocked out?

The organisation was superb, everything looked very stylish, and the officials and security staff could not have been more efficient and friendly - my wife wanted information about where to buy food, and spent a minute chatting to an armed Police officer, and she said he was helpful and friendly.

Never seen so many 'ands in one sentence

Is it stick up a 'and day?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Richard.Sole

To begin with I suggest that you learn some manners - commenting on someone else's use of the language in a web forum is rude and pointless. We don't approve of it here.

Secondly, the archery competition was run on a knock-out basis, therefore our team was knocked out. A team is an entity - it's perfectly correct to say it was knocked out.

On the subject of grammar, you should learn that you may use either 'was' or 'were' when discussing a team, although one or the other may be more appropriate, depending on context. You would say 'The government was deposed', rather than 'The government were deposed'. Either is acceptable, but on is more appropriate.

'The British team was knocked out' is perfectly correct.

Please spend your time thinking about making a sensible contribution to a thread in future, rather than nit-picking over other peoples' English usage.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more