We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Holly tree leaf problem

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

One for the gardeners I think.

I have a youngish Holly tree on which the edges of the leave turn brown and curl; some also fall off. In the Spring old/damaged leaves drop and new leaves grow; these are perfectly shaped an show no sign of any problem but, as the year progresses, some of the leaves develop brown/black edges as if they are dying. The marks appear only on some leaves and initially as isolated patches around the edge but these patches join to form a line around the leaf edge.

Searches have revealed it is not like tar spot or any of the similar problems as it is not all leaves, only the margin of the leaf is affected, leaves remain on the tree and it starts late Spring/early Summer.

Whether this is a disease/fungus or soil deficiency I have no idea but hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

With thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Sounds like a physiological condition rather than an environmental one.

Perhaps a soil borne fungal infection, whose spores are in the falling leaves?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It might be stress ClickHere either water problem or too much fertilizer. Also I believe Holly likes soil slightly acidic if I remember right.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

It sounds to me like leaf scorch. It usually starts in spring and is caused by fluctuating weather conditions. If it is. it is unsightly rather than fatal. Short of moving it to a sheltered location there is probably not much you can do. An example that I can think of is when it is sunny and getting warmer, but the ground is still frozen. The holly is unable to draw water from the soil to make up for water loss through the leaves.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Almost certainly your holly hasn't been getting enough water. Brown edges to the leaves are not indicative of disease, but of drought.

Make sure the holly has plenty of water in dry conditions, particularly as it is a young tree, and it should recover well.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Many thanks for all your responses.

The Holly is about seven years old and located next to a west facing fence panel where it will get the sun. This year there has been no real shortage of water as even through the drought the soil at depth was still damp and it is in the area where the teapot (acid soil) is emptied several times a day.

It is near a rose bush and I considered black spot from this but the rose has no symptoms.

I recently planted an ornamental Willow (Salix) nearby and this also appears fine, although the mottling on the leaves (pink/green/white) make it difficult to see if there is any discolouration. Having said this the Holly leaf discolouration pre-dates introduction of the willow.

Perhaps 'leaf scorch' is the cause. Certainly the weather over the past few years has been very variable.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...