We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unsuitable songs

interzone55

Likes # 0

Anyone else think that the constant use of Clash's London Calling at Olympic events is a little unsuitable?

Lyrics like "London calling to the faraway towns / Now that war is declared-and battle come down" are not really true to the Olympic spirit.

It's similar to the use of Band of Gold and I Will Survive at wedding receptions, the lyrics of neither bode well for marital bliss...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Last night they could've snuck in Peter Gabriel's 'Jeux Sans Frontiers'...wars without tears...It's a Knock-Out!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

This song is one that fits the bill:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bombKeYazik

...it's got a catchy wee tune, though.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

This should be played at the medal presentations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaEC-lWSlmI

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

Last nights festivities also featured a snatch from Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Darks hit "Enola Gay", named after the plane that dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima. Wonder what the Japanese team thought of that one.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Belatucadrus

That was another one I noticed, and forgot to mention it.

I do wish Danny Boyle had the guts to play the Sex Pistols' God Save The Queen rather than Pretty Vacant - although an instrumental section of it was included in the opening sequence

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Sex Pistols' God Save The Queen

I'm sure I heard more than an instrumental version sometime during the ceremony as I started singing along...

God save the Queen

A fascist regime

and then something else was played.I was laughing for several minutes after hearing the Sex Pistols that I missed whatever came next.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote