We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Olympics Opening Ceremony

hssutton

Likes # 0

So what did you think of it? Well my daughter enjoyed it

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I think Russia and Germany as well as GB may strongly disagree.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Well I decided to reflect a while before posting my thoughts. Yes it was a little too long but we've waited over 65 years to be able to do it so what is the problem? Yes it was peculiarly UK orientated and so it should have been. Commentators all around the world were given scripts telling them what every part was about so they could enlighten their own viewers just as the BBC was given a transcript of what everything in Beijing meant. Perhaps our own BBC commentators could have explained some of it a little better as there were a couple of parts that I was not sure what was happening.

The forging of the steel rings was not only unique but wonderful theatre. The stunt with the Queen and James Bond was again such original thinking as was the Mr Bean sketch. Simon Rattle who is not famed for his humour when doing things musical probably took longer to convince to doing this than the Queen.

The Olympic Flame lighting was absolutely fabulous and was by far the best I have ever seen and I've seen a few. To represent the flame in this way was an absolute triumph. The little side shows like Mary Poppins and her lookalikes popping in from above and the glowing doves circulating the arena were all part of the spectacle as were the constant drumming and the music playing which kept the whole thing "bouncing" along.

The Queen and Duke looked exhausted and probably were as they had had a very long day entertaining VIPs but I must say I was a little surprised at how little she got to say but again that was probably protocol as was the use of the French language. Also people need to remember that it is cities that are awarded the Olympic Games not countries so I have no problem with London being the focus point and in reality London has to be congratulated in opening up much of the games to other parts of the country.

As someone else has already said the live music at the end was to give time for VIPs to leave while others could leave in a slower manner. I would have thought that after seeing Macca trying to sing live at the Jubilee event alarm bells would have been ringing and perhaps they were as I'm pretty sure he started off lip syncing and there was a fault which required a quick change which he handled pretty well if few noticed.

The fireworks were lovely as usual and I wished there could have been more (as I like fireworks). From all accounts it was very well received throughout the world and the good bits will be the bits that will be remembered. One Tory MP who thought is was all lefty politics should stick to going to his right wing Nazi dress up parties as I don't really remember the days of Brunel as being much in the way leftist.

Well done everyone involved.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Actually and truthfully I havent seen any footage or pictures of the ceremony.

However, I have got as far as Je voudrai boire de la bière!

WTM

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

FE

"The world-wide audience had their own commentators, each of whom was provided with comprehensive briefing notes about what was going on, so they could explain to their viewers. It's always the same with these events - lots of people wouldn't have understood some of the Chinese ceremony without "

These notes didn't explain it well enough the questions I have had from friends across Globe today.

The man with the big black was he a poet who wrote about industrial revolution or was he a engineer ???? NHS what is that all about is it a hospital for children who have bad dreams ??? Who where the young couple dancing in the loft space ???

But apart from that all positive.

Noldi

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Noldi:

The man with the big black was he a poet who wrote about industrial revolution or was he a engineer ?

Isambard Kingdom Brunel was an accomplished engineer.

NHS what is that all about is it a hospital for children who have bad dreams ?

National Health Service,is free entitlement to medical services in the UK.The children/Medical staff in the ceremony were from Great Ormond Street childrens hospital.

Who where the young couple dancing in the loft space ?

Not entirely sure.I did hear the commentators explain what they represented but I've forgotten.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Interesting as it was, I still wouldn't have complained if we just had a simple athlete's parade at a time that would have allowed all of them to march in without them having to worry about competing early the next morning.

An afternoon parade and opening and back to camp for tea... or would that be an austere too far?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

One for Bing.alau and john bunyan - the designer/creator of the Olympic cauldron, Thomas Heatherwick, is the son of a RM Bandsman.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do