We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Olympics Opening Ceremony

hssutton

Likes # 0

So what did you think of it? Well my daughter enjoyed it

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I think the actual show finished with the lighting of the cauldron. The singing (or something) was to allow the dignitaries to exit unimpeded - understandably.

However, I think Rolf Harris would have done a better job than was done by Paul McCartney; as has been said above his voice has gone and so should he.

Like this post
mark2

Likes # 0

I had no intention of watching the ceremony, however I found myself drawn in, initially by the "history" lesson. I remained engrossed to the end, I agree, Macca should give up live now. I think it showed our nation as it is the good and the eccentric, just how the rest of the world see us. We should celebrate our eccentricities and uniqueness, after all it is part of what tourists expect to see.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

I enjoyed it, but have to admit that the Queen didn't appear to be enjoying it one bit. Not even a smile even when she spoke the few words. In fact they could have put Dame Edna in her place and nobody would have noticed the difference!

Looking onward, I may well spend the fortnight watching beach volley ball!! (:-}}

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I thought that it was a very good show however let down by the poor TV commentary. I gather that the overseas TV service commentators were given a briefing. It would have been good if our commentators could have told us a little about each section.

The entrance of the competitors took too long. We tried to enliven it by guessing the next country. Had no idea the dresses of the women bearing the country names had pictures of those who auditioned to be volunteers and did not get to take part until I read it in the paper this morning. On the subject of countries some of the names seemed open to change eg former and democratic when the countries concerned are largely undemocratic. When did Hong Kong become a separate nation? Good idea to place the flags on the grassy hill.

Didn’t like the choice of singer Emile Sande for Abide with me. One of the Welsh sopranos would have been better. Couldn’t see the point of the bike butterflys with Arctic Monkeys.

The idea of getting 7 young potential stars to take the flame from the older Olympians and then light the cauldron was inspired. 205 petals for each country rising to form the centre.

Let’s forget Macca.

Agree the Queen looked bored but perhaps nobody had explained what was happening. Unfortunate shot to the Prince of Wales and Camilla laughing heartily during the competitors’ entrance.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I listened to the BBC commentary but missed the bit about the dresses and certainly didn't get the doves of peace symbolism.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Agreed that the Queen looked bored and I'm certain that at one point she aked Phillip If he'd set the recorder for Corrie. She got no answer as Phillip seemed to be fast asleep. Must admit that there were some brilliant parts, such as the forging of the rings, but many other parts went on a bit too long. The cauldron lighting phase was a fit crowning finish to the event and it should certainly have stopped there. Real disappointments were Macca's singing and the appearance of Ali, to see that great man in that condition almost reduced me to tears.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Well I've just watched the Manx Missile fizzle out. As I suspected my thoughts that they were counting their chickens too soon.... Came home to roost.

Let's hope that it is a lesson to some of the other gold medal hopefuls.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Let's hope that it is a lesson to some of the other gold medal hopefuls

And what lesson might that be pray tell?

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I thought the opening ceremony was impressive and a credit to all concerned.

It shows the world that we can still punch above our weight.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

The use of the French language horrified me

Someone shooting several dancers would horrify me, the use of French was simply an annoying Olympic tradition.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Game of Thrones VFX work wins Emmy for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...