We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Olympics Opening Ceremony

hssutton

Likes # 0

So what did you think of it? Well my daughter enjoyed it

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I think the look on the Queens face said it all when they caught her in shot during the interminable athletes entrance!

Her ear plugs were in and she looked thoroughly bored and fed up. Long past her bedtime I suspect!

Also agree with the comments about Paul Mcartney, he may have been a good singer once upon a time, but no longer I fear! Why do they keep wheeling him out at these events?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

At least they didn't wheel out "Sir" Cliff.

I suspect Brenda was reading 50 Shades on her Kindle when she had her head down :-)

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Recorded the whole thing thankfully as it meant I could fast forward through much of the boring stuff. I really did not get the whole history thing but maybe that was just me.

Liked

The steel forged rings effect, stunning.

The cauldron was a masterpiece.

David Beckham in the speedboat,I know it was a set up but it looked cool which is more than can be said for most of the stuff inside the stadium.

Dame Evelyn Glennie and the 1000 drummers. I have always loved drums and drummers, Ginger Baker springs to mind.

Fireworks.

Hearing names of places I had not heard of before.

Disliked

Team GB outfits, someone was having a laugh surely.

The pretentious hugging of the young athletes by the oldies prior to cauldron lighting.But it's all hugging these days.Yuk.

Not enough fireworks.

Paul McCartney he would be at the opening of an envelope.

Far to long.

Not a sporty man myself but I most certainly wish our athletes every success.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I was a little cynical about the ability of the organisers to come anywhere near the last (Beijing) opening ceremony - I was wrong to be. I watched it on TV from start to finish and found the main sections not only well orchestrated but very original.

There was a solid historical theme supported by aspects of political development plus good music from the period covered - not to mention two separate areas of well recognised humour in 007 and Rowan Atkinson. I never thought I would see HM aiding and abetting hamming it up.

Certainly both the lighting of the flame and the cauldron (if that is the correct definition) itself have never been seen before. Passing the responsibility to the next generation in the manner it was will take some beating in the future and the design, assembly and function of the cauldron was innovative.

There were some parts not to my taste but that is to be expected. Overall a world beating performance I thought.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Much has been made of Danny Boyle's coup of getting HM in on the act.

Maybe he was just the first person with the guts to ask?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I hope her 'equity' card was up-to-date.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I was at work for most of it but got home about halfway through the athletes entrance but what I saw of it was very good apart from the music, I don't think the choice of The Artic Monkeys was very good (but that is only my opinion) I am in full agreement though on the subject of Macca I'm sorry he just does have the voice anymore. It was like watching one of those boxers that try to carry on too long.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Macca should stick to song writing. Last nights performance (or an attempt at a performance) was appalling. Why is it people never know when to give up gracefully?

It's a shame. Once-upon-a-time he was worth seeing.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I watched the opening ceremony from start to finish,I really enjoyed it. It was the only part of the Olympics I will be watching until the closing ceremony.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I watched most of it but thought it was all a bit of a "mish-mash". The use of the French language horrified me. (But then I've never got on with the French people I have been in contact with). I think the language in future should be the language of the country staging the event. TV can have its own announcers translating.

I'm sure not many foreign people would have known "Brunel" and must have wondered who the heck the bloke strolling around as if he owned the place was. The miming of cotton workers etc., was ludicrous to me too.

Getting away from the opening ceremony, I think too many chickens are being counted before they are hatched. So many medals in this event and so many medals in that event etc. I hope we are all geared up for some disappointments. But on the whole, so far so good. Hope the weather holds out and good luck to all the competitors... God loves a trier!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

10 iPhone app exclusives that make Android users jealous