We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Olympics Opening Ceremony

hssutton

Likes # 0

So what did you think of it? Well my daughter enjoyed it

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 1

I like much of it but thought some of the segments outstayed their welcome and sad to say I think Maccas voice is shot hardly the finale they were aiming for I suspect.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

rdave13

Every word of your post reeks of you having a massive chip on your shoulder. I wouldn't mind betting that if someone said to you 'Nice day, isn't it?' you would respond with 'it'll probably rain later'.

We're hosting the Olympic Games, and if tonight's opening was anything to go by we're going to make an excellent job of it. I don't consider it a waste of public funds, and as a Londoner I'm one of the people who are paying for most of it.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Quickbeam , with respect every one is entitled to their opinion even if you believe in the Almighty.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Belatucadrus

I agree, on both counts.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

I have to say, I was hoping for something better. I do not share others enthusiasm and thought the whole start of it was boring and messy. I suspect others around the world will be left wondering what it was all about and after all, we are talking about a world-wide audience.

The were however touches of brilliance. The three outstanding for me, were Mr Bean, the inference of the Queen parachuting into the stadium (and all credit to Her Majesty for playing along) and the lighting of the cauldron, which really was very special.

My assessment; could do better and I really was hoping they would.

Ten maybe fifteen minutes of brilliance in three and a half hours, is not exactly world class entertainment.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

At least you didn't bring God to the debate Forum Editor. You also seem to be so stuck up London you are blind to the rest of the country and its people. Have you noticed that everything is London based? Not Britain or UK. Nothing of a major league is British any more but purely London. I sincerely hope the games puts this country in a good light to the rest of the world and that it will be worth it. End of chip on shoulder.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"My assessment; could do better and I really was hoping they would".

A friend of mine was in the stadium with his girlfriend, who is a lip-reader. She said that during the Great Ormond Street section Michell Obama said to her husband 'this is magnificent'.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

May have been a trick of the cameras but the German dignitary looked like he was making some dodgy looking gestures when he saluted his team. Could have shown a bit more of the fireworks instaed of a video. Still the light effects were really magnificent. All in all well impressed. Hope they are going to move the flaming cauldron,seems to be in everyones way at the moment.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

rdave13

"You also seem to be so stuck up London you are blind to the rest of the country and its people."

I'm Welsh, and one of my brothers still lives there, I visit him regularly. I have close friends in Ireland, and visit them, too. For several years I lived in Yorkshire, and I spent a year working in Newcastle. One of my daughters works in Bristol, and I visit her often.

I see plenty of the country and its people, and they don't all spend their time moaning about how hard done by they are, and how the fat-cat bankers are the cause of all our problems. Plenty of people all over the country have a positive attitude, and don't go on and on about how everything is London-based. It isn't, by the way, but it's the capital city, and the country's financial centre. Parliament is based in London, it's bound to be in the news more often than other cities.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

It's damn shame that someone forgot to tell the organisers of the 'ceremony' that is was taking place in London which is the capital of England, where the first language is English.

Why on earth were all the announcements in French first, followed by English?

Utterly ridiculous and that alone spoiled the entire evening for me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing