We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

need help deciphering a parking sign

kidsis

Likes # 0

hi, I needed to park somewhere this morning before 12 noon for a fairly short time (I think in the end it was less than 10 mins but didn't have my watch on). The only nearby bay said "permit holders only 12-1 pm". Now, this can be deciphered I think in different ways - does it mean "only permit holders can park here, and only btwn 12-1, no parking at other times" or does it mean "anyone can park at any time, except between 12-1 when you will need a permit". As I was picking up something heavy I parked there. Am I to expect a fine in the post? Any help gratefully received.

Like this post
kidsis

Likes # 0

yes that statement is pretty clear, but what was not clear was whether it also meant "but no parking at all at other times", or "but at other times everyone can park". I am still not clear on that one. Obviously as I didn't have a permit I would not have parked between 12 - 1.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

What is implicit in "permit holders only bewteen 12pm and 1pm" is that anyone can park outside those hours.

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

Parking signs are in 2 or more parts. Your 2 part sign reads like this. Part 1, a condition that applies to the parking bay(s). Part 2, the time period during which the condition applies.

If there are no other signs then there are no other conditions at any other times except for anything in the Highway code. usefull info here

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I think it's safe to assume that if we haven't deciphered it's meaning in 3 days, it's definitely a case of failed signage, and you should get away with any penalty notice issued with a well reasoned defence argument:)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

A person called Barrie Seagal is well versed with this type of thing and appeals. Here is his website http://www.appealnow.com

If you are in the London area during the Olympics,and you are not sure of the about parking regulations and information, then this might be of some use http://www.olympicparkingtickets.com

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Probably to stop commuters parking all day. We have such rules only nobody can park between 12 and 1. Permits seem a good idea if you are local.

Like this post
kidsis

Likes # 0

thanks for the further info guys, on the 27th I searched high and low on internet but didn't see the specific sign, which was probably in 2 parts because I think parts of the sign were actually covered up with white stickon paper or painted over with white paint, but who would do that? I never think of taking my camera out with me, that's an advantage of the more modern mobiles that have cameras on them. Anyway I will check the websites blackhat and spuds have mentioned.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad