We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

need help deciphering a parking sign

kidsis

Likes # 0

hi, I needed to park somewhere this morning before 12 noon for a fairly short time (I think in the end it was less than 10 mins but didn't have my watch on). The only nearby bay said "permit holders only 12-1 pm". Now, this can be deciphered I think in different ways - does it mean "only permit holders can park here, and only btwn 12-1, no parking at other times" or does it mean "anyone can park at any time, except between 12-1 when you will need a permit". As I was picking up something heavy I parked there. Am I to expect a fine in the post? Any help gratefully received.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

Did you get a ticket on your window?

If not then stop worrying about a fine :0)

BTW I interpret it as the same as your last explanation.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Did you get a ticket? if not then there will be no fine in the post.

Good question about the sign,I am ashamed to say I have no idea.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Were there any Yellow road markings in the vicinity?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The '12' might be midnight or noon...the '1' is definitely pm.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

I would have to take it literally as meaning "Parking for permit holders only between the hours of 12 and 1.

What is ambiguous is the hour, is that PM or AM or perhaps both

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

This is quite common in London in residential areas to prevent commuters or those working nearby parking all day. They vary from road to road so wardens can hit the maximum number of transgressors.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

About as clear as an event being unticketed!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

You may still get a fine, even if you've not had a ticket. May local authorities are now using camera cars for issuing tickets.

If you get one just contest it as the language of the sign is as clear as mud...

Like this post
kidsis

Likes # 0

hi, many thanks for all your replies. No, there was no ticket on the car but I did unfortunately see a camera car - it was about 5 minutes or so before I parked, and it was heading in the other direction, but of course there could have been dozens of them patrolling. Incidentally I did leave out some of the words in my first post - it said "12 noon to 1 pm" but I was writing quickly. As to yellow lines, the only thing I saw was that in between the bays there were single yellow lines. I wish I was an expert in parking, I find it extremely confusing to know what is the right thing to do. If I do get a fine I will contest it, as I believe that in a decent country any signage should be absolutely clear as to intent, and I believe that sign is not absolutely clear as to intent.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I have to say "Permit holders only between 12 noon and 1pm" seems pretty clear to me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded