We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Two-faced hypoctites!

Pine Man
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm not much into football but it made my blood boil to see the 'non-English' GB football team members who are more than happy to play for the team but refuse to sing the national anthem!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Rosemary Leach's dad taught all the kids in his school to sing quite a few national anthems in English right at the start of WW2. I was evacuated to that school myself. I can remember the words of the French, Norwegian, Netherlands and probably a couple of others if I am prompted to sing them.

Oh yes, I also can sing the German national anthem auf Deutsch. But that was learn-ed much more recently. I also knew a version of the national anthem of the "Third Reich" which we used to sing when I was stationed in Germany, but the words are unrepeatable on this forum (or any other probably). Another national anthem I have under my belt is the Australian.

What I want to know is. Why can't I remember what I was doing this morning or yesterday morning?

What I would like to see and hear before I peg out is a different national anthem to suit England. Whether it already exists, or whether a new one is brought in to existence and maybe first performed by Gareth Malone and the Military Wives Choir. I could sing along to that!

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

"What I want to know is. Why can't I remember what I was doing this morning or yesterday morning?"

It is called old age and many of us suffer from the same symptoms. Our short term memory is the first to go whilst our long term memory seems to go on forever. I even remember the original Bing but don't ask me what I had for dinner last night ;-)

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Condom.

I think anybody joining the Armed forces even these days, with the name of Crosby would be nicknamed "Bing". Even though most of them have no idea who he was. In case anybody on this forum reading this, is one of those who don't remember him, I suggest you google for the name.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"I thought so called Olympics was to unite people"

No, you're mistakenly thinking that it's the taking part that matters. It's the winning that matters. The grinding of your national neighbour's nose into the ground. That's what sport is all about, war without bloodshed:)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

"What I would like to see and hear before I peg out is a different national anthem to suit England."

Why not have an Anglovision Anthem Contest...along the lines of Eurovision?

Kenneth McKeller's " For These Are My Mountains " was a bonny Scottish 'anthem'.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I also knew a version of the national anthem of the "Third Reich" which we used to sing when I was stationed in Germany, "

I can remember belting out "Wir fahren gegen England" during a NATO exercise at Macrihanish in the 60s (for those not aware, it was quite a common sing-a-long in British military messes at the time. Non-political, just the perverse service humour).

The Germans really were dreadfully upset (not offended, just bad vibes)and left.

They took some persuading to come back, and they never would join in.

No such scruples from the Yanks, the Canucks, Dutch and Norwegians though!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

My favourite Scottish song was one that started with the words

"You can come and see the baby if you care to call.

He's wrapped up with his mammy in a wee white shawl.... etc.

The words may not be correct as they are my translation of my Scottish pal's drunken rendering of the song. Brilliant.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Condom , hit nail on... no such thing as UK or GB national anthem. Possibly this might explain our country as it is... :)

You Tube

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Well they used what we perceive as the individual national anthems of Great Britain at the beginning of the Olympic opening rave.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

So they did Quickbeam .

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...