We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Two-faced hypoctites!

Pine Man
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm not much into football but it made my blood boil to see the 'non-English' GB football team members who are more than happy to play for the team but refuse to sing the national anthem!

Like this post
Wuggy

Likes # 0

The original version penned about 1744/45 (when Prince Charles Edward Stuart invaded England as far as Derby before his clansmen decided to return home) contained an additional verse which, for obvious reasons has been allowed to disappear.

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,

May by thy mighty aid,

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

and like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush,

God save the King.

So originally it would appear to have been more of an English National Anthem.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I was making the point that English people can't say 'Scotland's got a national anthem, why hasn't England?'

Of course they can say that, this is the real world, as far as most English are concerned the Scots have their own Nation anthem. Just because it is not official has very little bearing on the English peoples understanding.

And as for wondering why the Scottish government has not made it official I cannot say it has ever crossed my mind.I gave up trying to understand politicians thought processes many years ago.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

gave up trying to understand politicians thought processes many years ago.

I am not ruling out any possible exceptions, but, generally speaking those 'thought processes' can be summed up by adding 'Self' at the start and end of any such processes!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Quite a few of the players last night were not singing along. That included some of the English players. If I had been in their shoes I wouldn't sing along to it either. It's a diabolical song, singing the praises of one person and nothing to do with the nation. The tune's o.k and I believe it was once the national anthem of America too. But to me the word "national" means of the nation and it could do with a re-write.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"It's a diabolical song" 'tis that too. "...and it could do with a re-write" no chance of that 'til we become The Republic Of Great Britain...

And as much as I hate to say so, the French have the worlds most rousing and inspiring national anthem that makes them want to sing it.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...just look at the French spectators enthusiasm at a 6 Nations or international football game.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just a thought if it is a Uk team who picks the manager.

Should it have been and Irish. Scottish or welsh manager instead,

Not only picks the Manager who picks the team.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

And Nationalism Divides People, I thought so called Olympics was to unite people. I am stuffed all ready with it on all tv

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I can feel the goodwill already emanating from my TV screens (4) and they're not even switched on yet!

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I am finding much of it a little confusing so far. On TV we have seen so so many heads of UK sport, UK this and UK that being interviewed yet the team ends up being called Team GB. Newscasters are talking about the UK in one breathe and Great Britain or just Britain in the next. One on BBC needs speaking to as he twice today called the team England.

Football wise, I do find the manager's picks a little strange in that he ignored any players from Scotland or N Ireland but chose some Welsh ones despite all the FA outside of the English FA saying they didn't wish any of their players to be chosen. Mind you as he chose not to even travel to Scotland or N Ireland to see any players it is not surprising that he picked mainly the team he is associated with in England. Anyway you can't please everyone.

It will be good to have the sports starting soon when hopefully we can see fine sportsmen doing their very best from all around the world.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July