We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Two-faced hypoctites!

Pine Man
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm not much into football but it made my blood boil to see the 'non-English' GB football team members who are more than happy to play for the team but refuse to sing the national anthem!

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Like this post  
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Which of course is one time when the national anthem is the right one to sing, unlike when it's England playing something or another and we don't have a proper official English anthem to sing!

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Bit of a problem posting at the moment.

Apologies for title of the thread it should read hypocrites.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Personally, I think there should be a hand held microphone (karaoke style) passed along the team members, who each in turn, sing a line of the anthem...that should get their team-spirit and/or adrenelin a-surgin'.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

As an Englishman living in Scotland where Flower of Scotland is the national anthem I have long believed that England should have one. I have not heard a reasonable excuse as to why this is not so.

But as to Pine Man's point,to those guys who felt that singing God Save the Queen was not necessary. The clue here is in the your sides name Team GB, if you don,t like it get out.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

God Save the Queen is not only the UK national anthem but the anthem for our overseas dependencies. Their national teams stand and try to sing the anthem but the team may be composed of ex-pats who have qualified by living there for a number of years. These ex-pats may be any nationality typically Canadian, South African, Irish, Australian but as part of the team have to stand for the anthem. It can be quite amusing seeing some of them struggle with this.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

To those nationalities add Scot, Welsh, English.

Like this post
Wuggy

Likes # 1

Why do all these posters seem to think it is compulsory to sing the national anthem. For goodness sake we're not in North Korea, yet. If some players wish to sing that's fine. If others just want to stand to attention, or as close to it as some can manage, that, too, is perfectly acceptable.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 1

1. O Lord our God arise, Scatter her enemies And make them fall; Confound their politics, Frustrate their knavish tricks, On Thee our hopes we fix, God save us all!

The above are the words of the third verse of the National Anthem and were written about the Scots.

Do you really expect Scottish people to sing a song about the English wish to crush us.

I know it was a long time ago but the Anthem was not written as a UK National Anthem but an English one.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

OK if you want to be pedantic,not like you at all, it has been adopted as Scotland's de facto national anthem whether you like it or not.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

7 lessons Apple could learn from Microsoft (yeah, you read that right)