We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Detecting Water Pipes

morddwyd

Likes # 0

When they installed our wet floor shower a couple of weeks ago I noticed that they used flexible rubber water pipes, like washing machine hoses, not the usual copper.

Question: now I want to fit a couple of grab handles how do I detect these non-metallic pipes?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Water sounding rod, like the water board use perhaps?.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Only if it's flowing, and is that accurate enough for a 3 mm hole, as opposed to a pickaxe or road drill?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Any chance of getting in touch with the people who installed the pipe.Perhaps they can provide the answer?.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"....they used flexible rubber water pipes, like washing machine hoses, not the usual copper."

Are you sure they were rubber, and not plastic? Flexible plastic piping is now used extensively in domestic plumbing and heating installations. It's easy to install, uses push-fit connectors, and most importantly it is cheaper than copper. It will last a very long time indeed, and will not corrode. The plastic piping comes in coils, and is coloured grey or white.

If your installers really used rubber piping you should get them back to do the job again - rubber piping isn't suitable for concealed use, and will not have a long life.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...with all due respect,morddwyd, you should have thought about that during the installation phase...and watched where the pipes were running.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No More Nails?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

...with all due respect,morddwyd, you should have thought about that during the installation phase...and watched where the pipes were running

Isn't hindsight wonderful?

Today I had a call from a CCTV installer who needed some wireless CCTV cameras. We don't really sell these, as they're not very good over long distances and through walls.

It turns out this guy is working on a Russian billionaire's house in London, and the renovation designs forgot the CCTV until after they'd installed the marble wall lining in all the rooms, so now they've got no way to bury cables in the walls.

I wonder if the consultant who drew up the renovation spec is still breathing?

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

I think you'll find that a very sensitive metal/wood detector will register water filled plastic pipes. Use it on the wood setting and it will have to be adjusted VERY carefully and kept a constant distance from the wall. The change will be very slight but it is possible. I have found plastic central heating pipes under the floor in this way. Good luck.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Thanks all. They are probably plastic, I will try such detectors as I have.

HB

If you seriously think I am going to stand around for a week, getting in everybody's way, getting a headache from the noise, breathing in the dust, unable to use the toilet, unable to make a cup of tea or make a meal while my bathroom is re-plumbed, rewired, re-walled and re-floored and make a map of where flexible pipes, which may move as work progresses, are going I'm afraid you must think again!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I would consider getting them back to do it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow