We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Olympic language,A brief guide.

KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

The Olympics have given us all a chance to learn a new language called Gameish, I have listed some examples.

These phrases were used at Olympic press briefings yesterday which included three government ministers, the guy in charge of Olympic policing and the chief executive of Locog, the Olympic organising committee.

Gameish: “The vast majority of our asset will be out in the public space.”

English: “Most of the policemen will be on the street.

Gameish: “The London operation is supported by significant mobile reserve capability.”

English: "We’ve got lots of policemen, and some of them have cars.”

Gameish: “Private security man-guarding component.”

English: “G4S security guards.”

Gameish: “We’re reinforcing performance on the ground.”

English: “We’re training the security guards.”

Gameish: “ The reason for this decision is to absolutely de-risk any element of the program.

English: “After the G4S shambles we are calling up anyone who’s ever so much as worn a pair of khaki shorts.”

Gameish: “The net outcome is that you end up with an even better security force qualitatively.”

English: “Soldiers make better security guards than G4S staff do.”

Gameish: “All the queue-modelling is generally calibrated by the ability of the transport hub to absorb people.”

English: “When you’re leaving an event, you’ll find the Tube and railway stations quite busy.

To those of us who watched the BBC’s comedy Twenty Twelve I think you will agree reality is sometimes funnier/stranger than fantasy?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The 'laser-beam-visual-display-screen' at Hampden Park had a bit of a hiccup today :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18991619

'things can only get better'.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Marketing seems to be invading our language

Yesterday BBC Breakfast had a talking head on from some charity justifying the existence of chuggers.

He kept using the word "ask" as a noun, it was most annoying, just like his chuggers.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I particularly like the queue-modelling statement.

I imagine there are some frantic meetings taking place right now, and I have to say that I find it difficult to watch anyone involved in organising the games being interviewed without thinking of the BBC's Twenty Twelve. If ever a programme deserves an award, that one does - absolutely superb stuff.

So that's all good then.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Company speak love it,as i used to say at work about something "a bus load of shoe repair technicians" i.e. "a load of cobblers"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks